Chapter 2

“Hey honey you looking for a good time?”

He pulled over and looked at the blonde woman who had a thick Southern accent and must’ve been in her late thirties. She had bleach blonde hair with bright pink tips at the end. She wore a black mini-skirt and a leopard print top. She was smacking her gum like a cow chewed grass. She smelled of cheap perfume, cigarettes, and if he wasn’t mistaken…Bourbon. He smiled, “Well how did you know?”

She flashed him a fake smile that showed off her lipstick stained teeth. “You just look bored honey. Them glasses you wear make you look like a professor or somethin’.”

He laughed. “You’re close. I’m a doctor,” he answered.

“A doctor!” the woman exclaimed thinking he must be rich, “Well what kind of doctor are you?”

“A love doctor,” the man joked. She didn’t think it was very clever but laughed anyway. She hoped he wasn’t lying about being a doctor. She encountered a lot of men that lied about their profession.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

“Well honey, my name is Trina but you can call me anything,” she was leaning into his driver’s side window.

“Trina. I like that. How about you get inside this car with me, Trina?”

She looked around and smiled. A doctor meant money so she would be sure to charge double. “Okay baby. Anything you want.” She walked around the car, opened the passenger door, and slid in. As soon as she was in, he pressed the automatic lock button and drove off.

“Where are we going?” Trina asked.

When he didn’t respond, she began to get antsy. She hated Johns that acted like they were better than her. “Are we going to the Motel 6 nearby? Where are we going honey?”

He looked over to her and his smile gave her the creeps. The hair on her neck stood up when he answered.

“To Hell.”

Across Town

It was dark. She could feel the blood on his chest. Her body tensed in fear. She knew she had to get up. She stumbled in the darkness as her eyes began to adjust to her dark surroundings. Suddenly she felt a searing pain in her back. She tried to breathe but couldn’t suck in any air. 

Drenched in her own sweat and gasping for air: that’s how Sally Roux woke up.  She looked at the alarm clock that sat on her nightstand.

3:30 AM

Sally sighed and removed the damp cover from her body. She walked over to her bathroom and turned on the shower. When she looked in the mirror, she hated to recognize the dark circles under her eyes, mousy hair, and general look of tiredness that had overtaken her for the past three months.

She quickly stepped out of her damp clothing and took a quick shower. After she was done, she wrapped herself up in a bathrobe and padded to her living room. On her coffee table sat an old newspaper written two weeks ago. She looked at the headline again.

Demon King Spawns Copycat Killer

Sally knew the article had been written by Eva Lewis. “I wish I could bounce back as easily,” Sally muttered to herself. Three months ago, both she and Eva, the newspaper journalist, had been attacked by the Demon King, a psychotic serial killer.

After Sally had killed him, she had been rushed to the hospital to deal with her stab wound. She had lost a lot of blood and was placed on medical leave. Sally knew she had no choice but to kill the Demon King, but the guilt of killing another human being still weighed on her.  She was also forced to attend therapy sessions with the FBI’s shrink, Dr. Colin Spencer. He was a young guy but pretty anal about her attending her sessions. He still hadn’t approved of her getting her gun back. So here she was, still on leave, waking up in the middle of the night because of her nightmares.