Chapter 28

Jacob stared at the man that he knew as his father, Vincent McDaniels.

"I'm glad you let me come over," Vincent began.

"Like I had a choice? You would've kept harassing me if I didn't. I just wanted to get this over with."

Anger flashed in Vincent's eyes, but he stayed quiet.

"Well?" Jacob raised his hands in exasperation, "What did you want to tell me?"

"It's about your mother Jacob. I think she was murdered."

Jacob rolled his eyes at Vincent, "And who would want to murder her?"

"My sister."

Well that was a shock, even for Jacob. "You have a sister?"

"Yes. I wanted her to meet you but I guess she had other plans."

"Riiiight...like killing my mother?"

"Do you believe me?"

"I don't believe anything you say. As far as I know you're just some sick man that attacks women and has children that end up as murderers."

"My sons were just misunderstood Jacob. Besides, you shouldn't condemn them so much. They were your brothers."

Jacob didn't acknowledge that. "Listen, you told me what you thought...now please leave and don't bother me again."

"That's it? You don't care if your mother was murdered?"

"I don't know if she was murdered and even if she was...what do you expect me to do about it? I'm not a cop!"

Vincent laughed, "A cop? You think you have to be a cop to get revenge?"

"Revenge?" Jacob asked as he looked at his father in a new light. "You know I think you might be some kind of psychopath. No wonder your kids are all screwed up."

"You're my kid too Jacob."

"Not by choice."

"Listen Jacob..."

"No, you listen! I don't care what you have to say! If someone really did hurt my mom it was probably your fault somehow. Even if I did want to kill that person myself, it wouldn't matter. It's not my job to get revenge. I'll leave it up to the police. Now get out!"

"There's something else you don't know Jacob."

"Get out!" Jacob was about to start pushing Vincent out when his father's next words stopped him.

"You're not alone Jacob. You still have family. You have me and a nephew. Eva Lewis is pregnant with your brother's baby."

Jacob stopped and gasped, "What did you say? How would you even know that?"

"They found her. She's in the hospital and she's pregnant. I have friends everywhere Jacob. They keep me updated."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"So that you don't feel so alone. I know you and that girl, Joelynn, are best friends. She's Eva's cousin, right?"

Jacob didn't answer. Instead he looked away as he thought of Joelynn. She must be reeling at the news of Eva being found. A part of him ached at her absence. He was angry when he had blamed her for his mother's death. He shouldn't have but he needed someone to blame for his tragic loss. Now Joelynn was dealing with her cousin returning. Well at least that was good news for her.

"I may end up having to take care of that baby," Vincent interrupted his thoughts.

Jacob didn't expect to hear that, "What?"