Chapter 27.

SOMETHING NUDGED the underside of my foot. I kept my eyes firmly shut.

It prodded me again. Maybe if I ignore it the annoyance will go away. Go back to its home in the garbage dump.

I awaited the next disturbance.

Instead, I heard the soft plop of a body meeting the ground.

One eye hesitantly peeped open. Why was the world sideways?

My head lifted off Jesse's as-comfy-as-a-pillow shoulder to see Fynn sitting at my feet, legs crossed like a yoga teacher. I could only wish to get my legs to contort to such a position.

"Unless they were pushed by a certain somebody," Riana trailed off, her wolf eyebrows practically wiggling to their own music.

The music of being sex deprived. I reminded myself to ask Amelia if she'd had any sexual escapades recently. I pre-prepared myself for her onslaught of questioning on how it was possible that I, constantly surrounded by 'sexy hulks' – her words, not mine – got less fun than she did.

I huffed and laid back on Jesse's shoulder, unbothered to entertain Fynn's antics.

A few minutes later, just as I was about to fall asleep, another prod shocked me awake.

My head sprung up and I stared daggers into Fynn. If they had been real, there would've been at least fifty sticking out of his neck. A dagger collar for the naughty wolf-shifter.

Because of my repeated movements, the others had slowly begun to stir and wake up.

"I feel another soul in our presence," Fynn said once everyone was rubbing their eyes and reasonably attentive. "A new one."

"That's me."

"That's my wolf, silly. Why else would you have found a wolf lying on its side, earlier?"

Fynn rolled his eyes. "I thought I was having a nightmare where you were actually a wolf."

Riana and I felt slightly hurt – actually, very hurt – by his comment. That my wolf didn't exist, and he had a nightmare about us.

Jesse could feel me bristling and lay a comforting hand on my shoulder. I turned and sent him a small smile. I won't murder him. Yet.

The disbelieving looks on Jesse's face told me he didn't believe what I had expressed through my facial expressions.

I turned back to Fynn, only to find him glaring at the fingers stroking my arm like he wanted to chop them off.

When I cleared my throat, he awkwardly coughed and averted his eyes. "So, what do we do now that Katie has a wolf?"

"You're supposed to tell us that, alpha," I snarkily reply. I pause, suddenly aware of the newfound boldness that I hadn't possessed before.

How am I wittier?

"It's good you notice the lack of that skill previously," Riana snickered.

"But to answer your question, I lent you some of my amazing power. I'd rather not suffer second-hand embarrassment through your lame jokes, thank you very mucho."

Hey!

Fynn freezes and the James laughs at him. "Nice one," he calls.

A few blinks later, Fynn seemed to have composed himself enough, at least to the level where his hands were no longer twitching to snap my neck in half. He turned to me, "thank you for your obedience and dedication to me, Katie."