01 | The Pitiful Princess

PART ONE: The Remaining Princess

       ▕  ❝ I will not forgive you, ❞

The bright, alluring red moon twinkled as it adorned the midnight sky and allowed the shadows to stretch across the lands, illuminating the darkened night. Eyes of green like the trees that burned and filled the land with billowing smoke blinked, the fiery breath of a scaled, winged beast consuming the empire whole.

Screams of terror rings clear in her ears, a wailing cacophony that brings her joy like no other. Arrows of steel punctured through the air with great precision, deflected by a sharpened force of magic that surrounded the girl who sat atop the beast, her lips twitching as she broke out into a maniacal grin.

With fire and blood,

Her gloved hand tapped the silver scales of the dragon, her silky voice calling its name. "Eos," She says sweetly, against the sound of clashing swords and bloodcurdling screams. "Make me proud and . . . bring ruin to this place."

A low growl echoes in the harsh wind as the dragon—mighty and glimmering in the dark of night with its infamous white scales—enlarged its gaping mouth, the familiar crackle of blackened fire sizzling atop its tongue. Building strength and size to the fire, the dragon huffed.

Then, there was fire.

Like a heated drizzle, black flames engulfed the empire and demolished the cities in a billowing cloud of smoke and dust that rose as far as the skies above, enticing the woman. Her grin grew as she caressed the dragon, coaxing it with words of encouragement that fueled the fire, adding more to the wreckage.

"You've made me so proud, Eos." She praised. "Take me to the Imperial Palace."

The beast grunted before departing from the demolished empire, its gigantic wings causing blades of wind to shake the trees. There, ahead of them and amidst the flaming wastes, was the palace lined with silver and gold, guarded by high walls with armed knights. Knights that lay in their pools of blood, disarmed and dead.

I'll take back what you've stolen from me,

Her golden hair tousled in the wind, the night breeze whipping at her exposed skin tainted with fresh blood. With a gaze of impending wrath, she lowered the dragon within the palace entrance, ignoring how its colossal size toppled the stained walls, allowing for beasts of differing sizes and power into the once safe home of the revered rulers.

"Eos, guard my mother." Said she, securing her unconscious mother on the scaly back of the ferocious beast. "She will not be harmed in your care. I trust you."