13. Misión Fallida

Mission Failed

One of the things I hate about Carmen is how much she nags

One of the things I hate about Carmen is how much she nags. For example, I let her stay the night yesterday because I knew that if I didn't, she would keep on nagging until I agreed, so I saved my time and agreed immediately.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a mother.

I wake up the next morning feeling drained. I only feel this way whenever Carmen decided to sleep over. I just can't get used to sleeping beside her, especially when I feel awkward hugging her to being intimate with her. It just doesn't feel right.

I head to the bathroom before she wakes up and takes a shower. When I finish, I wear my navy blue suit to get ready for work.

Fortunately for me, no one knows what Rafael Santos looks like. I always take my fake ID whenever I go and no one knows the real me. It is one of the clever things my mother did when she married my father. She knew the life he was in and didn't want us to be involved in it. So, she married him secretly, registered us with fake names in the government, and made sure no one knew about that.

I have an Albanian passport, however; with my real name from the years I lived there.

When I left the bathroom, Carmen was wide awake.

"Good morning, baby," Carmen says, yawning. "This is the best sleep I have had, what about you?"

"Yeah...me too," I reply, not looking at her.

I style my hair quickly before she has the chance to climb out of bed and make her way toward me.

I open the door and leave her inside, whining.

I go to my father's office and enter without knocking. I was done with that shit.

"Rafa? What's wrong? Did something happen?" My father asks. Ana is sitting on the chair across from his desk.

"We need to talk," I firmly say. The look on my face looks alarming.

He narrows his eyes at me and nods. "We'll talk later, Rafael. We have important business now. Alba and Andrew arrived in Vancouver. Andrew called his parents this morning and told them that he was coming with his girlfriend. In an hour, he's going in."

I wanted to yell at him, saying that I don't fucking care about the mission, but I don't. I know he'll be sad and I don't want Ana to think that I don't care about her situation because I do.

"Fine." I bit back.

Ana is avoiding looking at me. She looks nervous and a little angry.

After waiting for almost an hour, talking about random stuff, Andrew's earpiece is finally activated, followed by Alba's.

"Can you hear me?" Andrew's voice blasts through my father's laptop.

"Yes, we do. Where are you now?" My father asks.