35. Back Home

Ana

When Rafael told me that we are going back home, I didn't believe him. I never thought that I'd miss Victoria's house as much as I do. Maybe because everything happened in that house, from getting close to Rafa to finding Andrew to falling in love.

Cash thankfully found a way to get rid of the police, at least temporarily.

He decided to change his name and look. That was the only way, unfortunately. But that was also the only way for our lives to go back to semi-normal.

"I can't wait to take you on a date, my love," Rafael whispers as we lay beside each other, with our faces looking at the ceiling, romantic, I know.

"Me too. I just miss living normally," I reply, smiling.

"You know, I used to kind of hate you when I first met you," he says.

"Me too. I thought you were both hot and annoying, which angered me," I reply with a huff.

"So, you're admitting that you thought I was hot."

"Well, duh, did you see yourself? You were so hot that my eyes watered every time my eyes landed on you," I admit, not feeling embarrassed at all.

"Trust me, my eyes weren't the only thing that watered whenever I looked at you," he says, making me hit his arm. "Rafa!"

"What? I thought we were being honest," he replies with a smirk.

"Well, yeah, but not that honest," I reply, my cheeks turning purple.

"Ugh, you're no fun," he says, sitting up straight.

"When are we going back home?" I ask, changing the subject.

"In a week. Cash needs to finish some things before we can move back."

"I hope it works out and he gets away with it."

"Me too. He has been through so much, especially with Alex and everything."

"Any news from Alex?" I ask, looking at him.

"No. Nothing. It is as if he vanished from Earth."

"Part of me feels like it is for the best. Cash doesn't need someone like him in his life."

"What bothers me is that he was once good. I have known him for so long that even when I think about his betrayal, I convince myself that it isn't true."

"Yeah, I get you."

For the next hour, Rafael told me stories about him and the brothers, how they were so close, and went on many adventures together. Like this one time when Alex fell in love with a girl at a bar, which they went to by using their fake IDs, and decided to run away with her. He was sixteen and he managed to convince Cash and Rafael not to tell anyone, but Rafael being the caring person, he told his father because he was scared something bad would happen to Alex.

I understand that he wishes he didn't tell his father and let Alex go. Maybe his memory wouldn't be tarnished like right now because of what happened.

He also told me how for years Alex was taken care of by Manuel and Victoria because he was the oldest and wanted him to feel wanted and loved. He told me that they cared for Cash as well, but Alex was different just because he witnessed too much from a young age. And according to Rafael, Manuel saw himself in Alex, making him want to care for him even more.

"I just wonder what he is doing right now, you know?" Rafael speaks up. "Is he okay? Is he outside of the country or still hiding somewhere in Italy? Or maybe he came back to Canada?"

"I just hope he doesn't hurt anyone," he finished, looking down at the palms of his hands.

I take his hands in mine and squeeze a bit, assuring him that Alex is fine and that everything is going to be okay.

I hope so.

A week later, we finally moved back to Victoria's house in Vancouver. We traveled from Spain to Canada and no one detected Cash's fake identity.

Everything worked out perfectly.

Victoria's villa was cold, missing the family members it once adorned. I really felt it came back to life when we entered through the huge brown double doors.

"I miss this," Victoria says, sighing. "I swear to god, if one of you does something illegal and gets caught, I will kill you personally," she threatens, pointing her pointy finger at each one of us, including her husband.

"Don't worry, mi amor, no illegal stuff from now on," Manuel replies.

"Not even mafia stuff? Alba asks, cocking her eyebrow.

"Not even mafia stuff," he replies, nodding his head.

"What do you mean?" Victoria asks in confusion.

"I am suggesting we retire. All of us."

"But that will bring a lot of enemies to our doors if they knew we are no longer holding a powerful position in the underworld," Rafael argues.

"I agree, dad." Alba supports her brother.

"Well, I of course would not stop you from continuing my legacy, but only if you find a new location to conduct the business, away from here."

"Of course, dad. Don't worry," Rafael says, nodding his head in approval.

Each one of us leaves to our respective rooms, wanting to rest after the long hours of travel. Rafael was mad the entire day because I didn't move into his room, but I wanted to have my own space and tease him a bit. No matter how much I love him, I will stop sleeping beside him until he puts a ring on my finger, and he has to figure that out on his own, but unfortunately, men don't get things easily. We have to tell them.

But I am willing to wait. I am not really in a hurry.

Now the only thing that is on my mind is to practice again. I want to get Cody's help and start slow before moving to big surgeries. I miss my job and what I used to stand for. Now that everything is kind of back to normal, I could get my job back at the hospital. Not necessarily the same one, but still.

I just hope I could go back quickly.