Chapter 1: One Month

"Drip"

"Drip"

"Drip"

Thick water droplets fell onto the muddy road. In this darkest hour of the night, nothing could be seen except a huge phantom.

An ancient building it was. Quite a dilapidated one.

"Boom!"

The sky suddenly lightened up.

'Oh, there's the main gate.' Bai Yu mumbled as the darkness returned once again. With just a thought, a torch suddenly appeared in Bai Yu's hand; making her quite surprised.

She walked towards the building. She could distinctly hear the sound of rain drops falling on the ground, but when she walked, there was miraculously no sound.

Bai Yu wanted to think about why it was so, but her brain somehow refused to think. She blankly walked towards the entrance.

"Creaaakkkk"

The door creaked heavily as she pushed it open; the sound magnified countless times in the almost haunting silence. However, there seemed to be no one else inside the building; since there was no response.

For some reason, instead of first calling out and asking if there was anyone inside, Bai Yu, for the first time in so many years, just barged into the building.

With the help of the torch, Bai Yu quickly realised that this whole floor was a lobby, and this ancient building was probably some kind of inn.

"Squeakkk"

She suddenly had goosebumps; were there rats in this building? Bai Yu didn't want to explore anymore, she just wanted to return home. However, her feet refused to stop as they moved towards an inconspicuous room towards the back of the lobby. It had no doors.

As she took her first step into the room, she habitually shone the torch inside. However, she could feel another wave of goosebumps on her arms as the light of the torch outlined a small figure with their head buried inside their knees, sitting in a corner.

From her hairstyle, Bai Yu deduced it was a girl. As she cautiously went near the girl, she saw the girl's figure shaking minutely.

'So she's alive.' Bai Yu consoled herself and stopped a few steps away from the girl.

"Hey, little girl, can you hear me?" Bai Yu called her.

The girl didn't respond. She just kept shaking with her head buried in her arms.

After calling the girl a few times to no avail, Bai Yu gave up and decided to look around the inn first.

After surveying the whole building, Bai Yu came back to the room where the strange girl was sitting.

However, the room was now empty. The girl's figure was gone.

"Take my place..." Someone suddenly whispered in her ears; a moment before everything turned black.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Bai Yu woke up with a start. Looking at the beige ceiling, she put her right hand onto her heart in a daze, it was beating super fast. She sat up and looked at the familiar cozy room, she was at her apartment.

"Just a strange dream, huh; all those historical books are taking over my subconscious..."

Bai Yu murmured to herself while trying to forget that scary dream. She had recently been having strange dreams almost every night. However, before today, it was always very vague; like looking at some historical place from an aerial perspective.