Wattpad Original
There are 29 more free parts

Chapter 38: Trust

The lights the Guardians carried sprinkled down the hill, jiggling like fireflies. Then they grew close enough that the lantern light blended together and obliterated my peripheral vision. Though I could barely see Isalio beside me, I could feel his reaction—the tension coiling his muscles, the irregularity of his breath. Uncertainty? Fear? Pain?

Instinctively, I reached for his hand, brushing cold skin. "Hey, are you alright?"

His hand inched toward mine, and his shoulders turned toward me. For a second, I thought he might step right into my arms, and I itched to wrap him in a hug. But instead, he jerked back two steps.

"What are you doing?" His voice was harsh and bitter. "Are you trying to hold my hand?"

I shoved my hands into my pockets. He was right to react as such, given the circumstances. Besides, even if we were no longer enemies, we weren't exactly friends. Still, I couldn't help feeling as though I had been slapped in the face. "I...no. I just wanted to make sure you're ok."

He scoffed. "I didn't hold your hand when I brought you to the palace, did I?"

"But you did protect me."

"None of that."

"None of what?"

"Protecting me."

A small group of Guardians tramped toward us, and the lantern light flickered across wide eyes set into gaunt, dirty faces. Further away, a dozen other Guardians held back.

My hands in my pockets fisted, resisting the urge to grab him; to demand to know what was going on in his brain; to make him see sense. "I promised not to let them hurt you, Isalio."

"Yeah, well, that can't be your priority right now. And I'm sure they'll talk some sense into you."

"What do you mean?"

But it was too late for further conversation—the closest eight Guardians were in earshot now. Their eyes darted between me and Isalio, and a whisper passed across the group like wind through the trees. I recognized Fraschkit, four other Guardians from her group, Kardki, and two other Guardians I had freed from the dungeon. Six raised Demon-slayer maces while two held crossbows.

Fear gripped me. At this range, a single rubber-tipped crossbow arrow would easily kill Isalio, especially given how weak he was right now. Against this many armed Guardians, there was no way I could protect him. But the Guardians would not kill so recklessly, not when there was information to be gained, not if I told them to stop. They would listen to reason—wouldn't they?

"Lower your weapons," I told my team, trying to keep the fear and desperation out of my voice. "He's cuffed and powerless right now, and we need him."

Kardki began to lower her mace, but the rest of the group eyed Fraschkit.

Fraschkit grated her teeth. "Keep your weapons raised. Eyes on the target, but don't attack unless I command it."

Kardki averted her eyes from mine and lifted her mace once more. Fraschkit stepped closer, palm raised toward the rest of the group to hold them back.

I told myself to stay still—I didn't want to challenge Fraschkit in front of the others or reveal exactly how much I cared about the man beside me. My feet had other plans. I edged in front of Isalio, ignoring his tongue cluck of disapproval.

Her jaw locked and green eyes flashed. The lantern light sliced across her strong jaw and broad nose and illuminated weathered, tan skin. I realized for the first time that my cherished friend made a formidable foe.

"Remgar," she gritted out, barely opening her mouth. The word was half warning and half question—are you the Remgar I thought I knew? "Move out of the way."