XVIII

Akbar left a while ago to go pray Maghreb.
We left home since 6am and it looks like we're spending the night here.

I huff looking at my sister cowering in fear.
"Why? A man older than your father? Seriously? You've become a runs girl? A sex worker, a prostitute"

She shakes her head "Stop calling me that"
"Then what are you? What do you call what you were doing? What do you call someone who spreads her legs for money? If I'm right, a prostitute so if I call you one then it's justified, do you think not?"

"I did this for us, so we'll live better lives"
I laugh sarcastically.
"Really? If not the phone and the gadgets you got me, in what way has that money helped Nura and I? Huh? How? Let's say you got me gadgets but what about Nura, have you ever given him a dime? Last time I checked you still collect the money I send you. So how is it for us exactly?"

I huff "It's all for you, just you and you think you can somehow pin this on me?"
"No, it's not my fault I didn't want to live the way you are living your life sister. Everyday we talk I get more motivated to do what I can to survive, not live with a man I don't know because I'm homeless, to me that's worse than what I do"

"Really? I'm the happiest I've ever been. And I'm talking about even years before we lost our parents. I can't remember the last time I was this happy and free from worry. Before they died there were serious financial troubles and Baba's deteriorating health. To you my life looked pitiful but to me it has never made so much sense. Now I have a full time job at a big company, I can continue with catering on the sideline thanks to the people Akbar hired to help me, I have his brother who treats me like a younger sister, his mother who treats me well and he who is always there for me as you saw. The man put his life on hold to be here for me because I have no one else, something I know you cannot do for me. I knew you were selfish that was why I never asked for anything from you except to go to school and live your low key life".

"And now I'm sure he'd never want to see me again"
"Good, that's what I want and you should better start packing. I'll be going back tomorrow"

I huff.
"I'll go back to the hostel when I'm done"
I shake my head laughing "Oh no, Nura will handle it all, I'll leave it to him"

"No, please not Nura"
"You thought I'd leave you to it?"

"He's too intense"
"That's exactly why I'm telling him, he'll handle it better than I will".

She huffs.
"Then go start"

::

I open the door for him.
He sits next to me holding multiple bags.
"You haven't eaten all day so I got something for you"

I smile "Thanks, I was starving but there's nothing in the house"

He nods.
"I got your sister some too"
"I doubt she needs it" I roll my eyes.

"Just give it to her, she shouldn't stay hungry"
I nod "Fine, when she's done packing the things in the room"

He nods.
"So you should eat up and rest. You must be tired"

I huff "Really tired, I haven't had decent sleep in three days"
"Yeah, you should catch up on it "

"What time are we leaving tomorrow?"
He tilts his head "Aren't we staying until she leaves"

I shake my head "Nah, Nura will handle that".
"Okay then. I'll head to the hotel now"

I pout "Already?"
"Yeah, you need to rest too and since we're going back tomorrow it'll be safer to leave early, don't you think?"

I nod "Yes, makes sense"
He smiles and clasps my hands "Don't worry, everything is settled and everything will be alright. You have me and I'll always be here no matter what, okay?"

I nod.
"Okay"
He stands "Well, then make sure you lock the doors. Eat and go to sleep, you look really tired"

"I'll do that now, goodnight"
"Night" he walks out.

I lock the door and sit back.
The food here would feed an entire classroom, I'll call Nura to come and take some so they won't get stale.

But I think any woman in my shoes would fall for Akbar. The man is just perfect in every way, the real definition of a man.

I huff.

::

I hugged him.
I know it was stupid but I couldn't help it.
Seeing him walking towards me smiling, I just couldn't control myself.

I could see Nura glaring at me but I ignored him.
I know Akbar definitely wasn't expecting it, he froze but eventually taps me on the back gently.

"You good?" He asks in a whisper.
I pull off and smile "Now, I am"

"I'm glad because you looked really bothered last night but I'm happy it's different this morning, this is how I like seeing you"
"Abdul called me this morning, we spent a while talking. Apparently he misses us already"

He nods "He complained to me as well, he says if we don't come back today he'd follow us here"
"He could actually do that" I giggle.

"I wouldn't be surprised"
I nod.

Nura walks over still glaring at me.
"Akbar this is my younger brother, Nura"

Nura was trying to look intimidating but Akbar looked passive, I think he gets what my brother was trying to do.

"I heard my sister has been staying with you"
He nods but says nothing.
"Thank you, you were there when she had no one"

"You don't need to thank me, I only did what I thought was right".
Nura smiles, "I'll be honest, at first I was pissed but I felt better knowing you're married and you made that clear"

Hearing Nura say that really hurt me.
He didn't have to rub salt on my wounds.

"Although I'm thankful I believe her stay with you should come to an end"
He nods "Whenever she's ready, I won't stop her".

Now it's not just salt, it's fire. Fire is being rubbed on my salted wounds.

"Okay, thank you"
They shake hands.
I felt like punching my dumbass brother.
Ruining my moment.

Noor comes out with the rest of her stuff.
"Is that all of it?" Nura asks.
She nods.
"Okay, let's go. Awwal is driving us"

I nod "Be safe. We'll start making our way home"
"Make sure you pray immediately you get in the car" he reminds me.
"I will, thanks" I hug my baby brother.

::