XX

What have I done?
Things have been worse, like I mean horrible.
It's been two weeks since I moved out of Akbar's house.

It's been three weeks since we last talked.
Since that night he clarified things.

He ignores me completely, like I'm invisible.
It's painful.
Really painful.

Eventually I decided to stay at the house he wanted, that was the last thing he asked of me. He promised that neither he nor anyone from his family will ever approach or contact me ever again if I agree to stay thereat least he'd know I'm safe.

But being ignored by him hurt a lot more than I thought it would.
It stings each time he walks past me at work and not acknowledge me.

Before, he'd smile at me no matter the distance, sometimes he'd wave his hands in the air excitedly but not anymore.

It's like he's a completely different person and of course I never approached him, how could I? I was the one who asked for distance and he respected my wish but I wish he didn't.

I dread going to work.
I dread hearing anything about him because it makes me feel worse.

Worst of all was when he lost a client last week. He looked strained to the bone, he didn't look like himself and I had no right to involve myself in his business.

"You good?" Amin asks smiling.
He helped me close up the cafeteria today.

I decided to give the friendship a go, he's a good guy plus this way I can hear how Akbar's doing.

"I'd love to escort you out but the boss is waiting for me, you know how cranky she gets"

I smile "Of course, take care"
He nods "Drive safe" he rushes.

I walk out.
Walking mindlessly on the parking lot.
I pause and stare at Akbar's car.
It hasn't left this parking lot in two days.

It seemed like just yesterday I'd go drag him out myself but not anymore.
I huff.

"You good?"

I turn abruptly at the familiar voice. I almost trip and fall on my ass but he grabs my arm.

"Abdul? Are you here for Akbar?"
He smiles "On the contrary, I'm here to take you home"

I shake my head "That doesn't seem particularly advisable seeing as I'm sure Akbar asked you to keep your distance"

He nods "He did but my brother says a lot of things he doesn't mean, including this. Plus I was the one who got your car remodeled and it's done so I'm taking you there so you can pick it up yourself, nay?"

I smile.
I missed that and somehow I've subconsciously added it to my vocabulary too.

"Yea"
I follow him to his car.

Since he started driving none of us exchanged a word when under normal circumstances we can't keep our mouths shut.

"How's he doing?" I ask curiously.
"You can ask him yourself"

I scoff "He doesn't want anything to do with me"
"No, he's respecting your wishes. He's giving you what you want"

"So he's okay?"
"Yeah, Hameedah got back a few days back. He's happier but obviously he doesn't like how things ended between you two, I don't like it either"

I huff "Neither do I?"
"But you don't like that he tries controls your life or what?"
"It never felt like he was trying to control my life. I never took it that way. It felt like he was worried about me and he wanted what's best for me"