6 • A Proposition

Cole lived in an upscale penthouse downtown

Cole lived in an upscale penthouse downtown. After losing Salvatore's men, Cole told her he was going to take her to his place. Mina noticed the doorman's eyes widen when he saw her. He was an older gentleman with brown eyes, gray hair, and a double chin. He wore a red suit with a gold tie.

"Mr. Hollister," the doorman said. "Is this your sister?"

Cole's eyes narrowed. "You know I don't have a sister, Burns."

Mina smirked before placing a hand on the older man's shoulder. "Are you trying to get information on me? Why? You interested?" She pushed back her trench coat with one hand before pushing her hips forward to showcase her figure.

"Don't give the man a heart attack," Cole warned. He grabbed her by the elbow and pulled her away from the blushing doorman.

"It was nice meeting you, Burns," Mina called out, a smile on her face. "I'll see you later!"

Once they were in front of the elevator, Cole shook his head. "Was that really necessary?"

"What?" She shoved her hands in the pockets of her trench coat. "Flirting with your doorman? Nah, but it was fun. Did you see the way he stared at me? So what if I'm not dressed in designer clothing? Who is he to judge me? Rich people spend way too much money on labels. If I had money to burn, I'd spend it on things I needed not things to impress strangers."

The doors opened and a couple exited before Mina and Cole stepped inside. He pressed his lips together to stop himself from speaking. He wasn't sure why he'd brought her home with him.

Mina leaned against the back wall of the elevator. When the doors opened, she gave an exaggerated sigh before pushing herself forward and out the elevator doors. They entered a hall decorated in muted tones of brown. Double doors with an electronic keypad were located in front of the elevator.

"Do you own the entire top floor?" Mina asked.

He nodded while pressing in a code. A clicking sound followed by a long beep filled the air and Cole pulled open one of the doors. The scent of meatloaf wafted around them.

"Do you have a chef?" Mina asked, curiously. Her eyes darted around the large penthouse. If she had to bet money, she'd guess that a fancy interior designer had a hand in the home's décor. Marble floors with fur rugs and fine art punctuated the apartment.

"Cole, you're home. I was just about to—" Vivi's words caught in her mouth. Her breath caught as she stared at Mina. "What's going on here?"

"What are you doing in my penthouse?" Cole demanded. "How the hell did you get my code?"

Vivi flinched. "Your mother gave it to me."

Cole swore before pulling out his cell phone and tapping angrily on it.

"Why are you with Cole?" Vivi asked Mina.

Mina smiled. "It's the funniest story. You see, what happened was—"