9 • Salvatore Romano

Passing out drinks during an art exhibit seemed easy enough

Passing out drinks during an art exhibit seemed easy enough. Mina smoothed her hands over her black and white catering uniform.

"Are you sure you can do this?" Belinda, another caterer who helped Mina get the job, asked. She handed Mina a bottle of water. "People think serving champagne is easy, but it isn't. You need to be coordinated to carry the tray of drinks and wear heels."

She lost her footing as she stared down at her heels. "Are you sure I need to wear heels?"

Mina twisted the cap off the bottle of water and brought it up to her lips.

"Yes," Belinda answered. "Listen, you probably won't believe me, but there are going to be some potential sugar daddies at this shindig."

Mina spat out her water. "W-what?"

Belinda smirked. "You heard me. Bored rich men wanting to find someone to spend their money on usually attend these exhibits. Luckily for them, I'm available. Last month, I had a fling with a lawyer who took me to France. France, girl! Sure, he was overweight and balding, but the trip to France was worth it."

Mina scowled. "You realize you're basically pimping yourself out, right?"

"If being my own pimp means trips to France, I'll start putting it on my resume," Belinda said, laughing. "Don't act all high and mighty on me just yet, Mina. Wait until you see the smorgasbord of men attending this. If they're willing to spend money on me, who am I to stop them?"

"Are you sure Mr. Romano is going to be here tonight?" Mina asked.

Belinda's smile fell. She stopped stacking her tray and leaned forward. "Mina, you helped me when I needed to know if our landlord was cheating me and my sister, so I owe you big time. I must warn you. Mr. Romano is like a gag gift."

"A gag gift?" Mina repeated, not quite understanding.

"Yeah. On the outside, it's wrapped beautifully with metallic wrapping paper. Maybe it even has one of those fancy bows that cost five bucks a pop. It's stunning, so you think whatever is inside has got to be expensive. Something to cherish or treasure, even. When the wrapping paper is gone and you look inside, you find out there's nothing worthwhile in the box. Instead, it's a bag of nails or a plastic gun. Something you don't want or need. It's a gag gift. That's Mr. Romano. Gorgeous on the outside, but he's nothing but junk on the inside."

"That has got to be the oddest thing I've heard today," Mina mumbled.

"The man lost his wife a few years ago, and he goes through women like a chain smoker goes through cigarettes. There's a total ick-factor to that."

"I'm not trying to sleep with him," Mina said. "I owe him money and his underlings keep charging me interest. I just want to talk to him. That's all."

Belinda rolled her eyes. "Uh-huh. Sure, you do."