10 • Just for Tonight

The light of the streetlamps reflecting against the wet sidewalk reminded Mina of a Leonid Afremov painting

The light of the streetlamps reflecting against the wet sidewalk reminded Mina of a Leonid Afremov painting. Her hands were curled around her arms as she shifted her weight from one foot to another. Sheets of rain hit her bare legs, and she shivered, her eyes on Cole, who was slightly bent over, his hands on his hips. A canopy above the entrance of the art gallery was the only protection they had against the rain.

"I'm guessing you weren't expecting that," Mina said, referring to the bombshell Salvatore had just dropped.

Cole shook his head, exhaling deeply. "No, there's no way Lisa would've cheated on me. I loved her. She loved me."

Mina nodded, her face scrunching up as she took in the growing line of cars. Amid the blare of horns and tires wading through rainwater, she could hear sirens in the distance.

"He's lying," Cole said, raising his voice. "Lisa wasn't a bad person. There's no way she tried to blackmail anyone."

Again, Mina nodded.

His brows narrowed as he glared at her. "Aren't you going to say anything?"

Mina straightened her back and unfurled her arms. "What do you want me to say, Cole? Do you want me to lie and say my cousin was an angel? Do you want me to go in there and call Salvatore a liar? Maybe kick him in the shin?"

"How could you talk so callously about Lisa?"

She couldn't stop the sigh from escaping her lips. "Arnie Carmichael."

The corner of Cole's mouth stretched downward. "Who?"

"Arnie Carmichael," Mina repeated. "He was unconventionally attractive. Some people called him a nerd. Okay, almost everyone called him a nerd, but I didn't care. He was my homecoming date during my freshman year of high school."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I didn't make it to homecoming."

Cole shook his head and lifted his shoulders. "I'm not following you, Mina. Is this supposed to make me feel better? Did this Arnie cheat on you?"

"I remember buying this sequined green dress. It made me feel like some sort of mermaid princess in it. My family couldn't afford it, but it was my first homecoming, but my mom bought it for me anyway," Mina shared, staring at the rain pelting the cars ahead. "I waited for him all night, but he never showed."

"A nerd stood you up?" Cole asked in disbelief.

She ignored him. "I remember thinking he must've been in some sort of accident. I was worried and tried to call him, but he never answered his phone. It was past midnight when I found out why."

She turned her head. Cole's face was still puckered as if he wasn't sure how to respond.

"My cousin sent me a picture on her phone. It was of her and Arnie in bed together—a sheet wrapped around their naked bodies. He was asleep, but she told me Arnie lost his virginity that night."