Chapter 6: Not Part of the Plan

It has been a week since I stayed in the Wisteria Estate. Every now and then, I would help around thanks to my knowledge in medicine and the ingredients that made such. And on my free time, I would either hang out with people, or be with myself.

Today, there is nothing to do, so I decided to walk outside to get a breath of fresh air. I passed Rengoku's room only to be caught by the man himself. I went into his room with a much more bigger kimono. He gazed at me while holding a book in his right hand.

"How did you know it was me?"
"A guess! And I am right! Hahaha!"

His laughter brought beautiful ringing to my ears. I smiled and sat down on the side of his bed.

"How do you feel? Can you at least walk now?"
"Yes, but not on my own, I'm afraid. Thanks for your concern, Shima-san!"
"Well, better that than no movement at all. I'm just about to walk outside. I haven't gone out in a week."
"I would love to go with you to show you around, but I'm bedridden. Shinobu-san's orders."

I nodded wishing I could take him with me. It is as nice to be around him. I love his charisma and unbroken spirit.

"I wish you could go with me as well. It would be wonderful to spend time with you in more than one place."

His iris shrunk, and his cheeks turned slightly pink. I tilted my head in worry. My hands felt for his forehead only to pull back instantly.

"Your head is burning at a concerning rate! I'll get you water and a towel!"
"Y-you don't need to, Shima-san! It's just your honesty is unexpected."
"I don't see any reason in lying unless it's to protect someone," I shrugged sitting back down where I was.

He grinned at me with his beautiful eyes. His red and yellow eyes that used to be full of familiarity when I was in his sights. He doesn't know that we once found ourselves in a similar situation before where I healed and rehabilitated Rengoku back to health. The mere deja vu almost made me tear up, but I held back the feeling of mourning and continued to talk to the hashira.

At the end of our conversation, a deal was made between us. If he heals where he can walk for a good while, we will take our first steps outside in a while. Quite a childish deal, and if I were to think back on my words, it would accidentally sound like a marriage proposal. Nonetheless, he smiled and agreed to it.

"I won't let you down, Shima-san!"
"I know you won't. I have the utmost confidence in you, Rengoku-san," I smiled and pat the top of his head.

At first, I thought I had messed up, because here I am, treating him like a house pet and he paused. He put my thoughts and racing heart at ease when he hummed under my touch. I felt him nudge his head more into my palm.

'He's so cute like this!'

The door suddenly began to open making me retract my friendly affection. I didn't know if it is just me, but I could've sworn he expressed annoyance towards whoever decided to enter his room. It was Shinobu with a needle.

Rengoku Kyojuro, the Flame Pillar, tensed at the sight of the needle. I thought back to when he did the same thing when I trained him as my assistant.

Being the caring person I am, I tossed all caution to the wind and grabbed his hands. He stared straight ahead at me with shock evident on his face.

"You want to tell me more about your family and friends?"

Shinobu smirked beside the guy knowing exactly what I'm doing. And sure enough, it worked a charm. He wouldn't shut about his cute little brother. By the time the Insect Hashira is done, he still didn't. I slightly tightened my hold on his big hands.

"Did I talk too much?"
"You would never do such, but I just wanted to let you know that Shinobu-san is done with your painkiller."
"Wait, really?! I didn't notice!"
"That's the idea! I think she picked up on your fear of needles, Rengoku-san," the Insect Hashira teased," You're slipping~!"

"Wow! Very observant and noble of you, Shima-san! I am very sorry for you to see the Flame Hashira in such a state."
"It's ok. I think it's quite a cute trait," I complimented inwardly cringing at myself.

The Flame Pillar is cute? Where the hell did I get that line from? Dollar Tree? However, he didn't seem to mind as his ears and cheeks flared red but is still smiling at me. This time, I don't think it's because he's catching a cold.

"Rengoku-san, if you turn red even farther, I'm afraid you'll burn through the bed. Does me calling you cute get you that flustered? No one called you cute before?"
"No one has ever called me such!"
"Wah, you're making me want to tease you more, but I don't want to get in trouble for the bed burning. I'll just wait until you're well," I smirked before getting up and walking out the room triumphantly.

'Well, how did the walk outside go?'
"I didn't get the chance to. I promised Rengoku-san to not go outside until he gets well and walks with me."

Its a shame. I can't even sit down in my own room without questions being fired at me. That's love for you.

'Ah, that's so sweet, Flora-chan! I bet his heart is flaring with joy!'

'I bet, alright, but doesn't it go against your plan? You need to find the Shizen Estate!'
'Look, Quakey, it is only temporary. I think Rengoku-san just wants to make it up to me since he kind of can't right now.'

I heard the male crow sigh while I grabbed a book on medicines.

Rengoku-san's POV~>

"How are your memories, Rengoku-san?"
"Ever since Shima-san assisted me, I've been getting flashes of memories more quickly. Just like before you came here. There was darkness, but the sound of the woman's voice. And her touch feel so real on my cheeks. I still don't know what to feel about this."

Shinobu-san smiled with sympathetic eyes. I stared straight ahead remembering the diagram of the maiden. Thus far, I can picture her mouth, hands, and black curly hair. The rest is still a blur. So far, she looks identical to Shima-san; I don't want to assume and scare her off.

"Is it possible that she has a connection to that despite recently meeting her?"
"Well, I've heard cases where that's possible, because they can resemble who and what you are trying to remember at that point in time. Therefore, if she helps you remember, why don't you spend more time with Shima-san and get to know her?"
"Haha, that is a swell idea! I will do just that!" I grinned.

While the Insect Pillar left, I thought of many ways to do so. Maybe we can go to my favorite restaurant, and even the Rengoku residence. I bet Senjuro would love to see the maroon colored woman again. My father... I honestly don't know. He seems ok with her in the room.

The more I made up new plans, the more I smiled and became more determined to be well!