XI

Upon our arrival at base, we had the unpleasant surprise of seeing Karl. I had forgotten about him. I haven't forgiven him for scaring Cassandra so badly in Kabul when we were trying to get her back. Cass never seemed to blame him, but I did. And I'm not the only one. Kitty looked at him with a look of intense contempt on her face. Then she met the very gentle gaze of the Viking, as it often is. She closed her eyes, lowering her face, then her expression changed, her face becoming expressionless. Raising her nose, she passed in front of him without paying any more attention to him.

I looked at him. He seemed haggard to me. His eyes had dark circles, were bloodshot and I found him thinner, too. But at the age of fifty, and in this very difficult country, it was not really surprising.

Yaka went to see him, to identify him or verify his identity, and he had a reaction that worried me. He walked away from her. Strange, I thought.

She went to glue herself to JD, begging for a caress which he gladly gave her. Then he got a weird expression and he took her to the kitchen for Cook to feed her.

Then, with the whole patrol, we went to wash up, so Karl's quirks were forgotten.

After dinner, the patrol staff (the brothers and I) reported to the Company staff (Lin, Fatso and the brothers... yes, I know) on the incident at the town.

- Well, what do you want to do, boys? Lin asked, sweeping her locks back.

- Go looking for the kids, said Erk. Bring them back to their mother, alive or dead.

- And how are you going to do that?

- She gave us some clothes, Kris replied, which we kept in waterproof bags. Like Erik's pillowcase a year ago.

- Good. So you will go to the third village, Victor 3, you will be courteous, as usual.

- We will do our investigation, discreetly. Then we'll try to follow their trail with Yaka's nose.

- Besides, I said, Karl had a weird reaction when she approached him.

- And Alpha, said Fatso, growled at him, barely, but...

- But that's because he doesn't know him, Lin said, tossing her locks back with a shake of her head. But I didn't know that Karl was afraid of dogs.

- That's not something you expect from a tough guy like him, indeed, added Fatso. Well, guys, I think the most effective thing is for Curly to bring you closer with the Land Rover, it will save time. And since he won't be back until tomorrow and he will rest for a day and a half, you have at least two nights ahead of you.

- Good, Kris said. Because even if Erik's shoulder makes a good pillow, pebbles don't make a good mattress... Besides, Erik, I think I should take care of your hair. They are a bit brittle, not surprisingly, and split.

The giant nodded. I wondered why Kris was taking care of Erk's hair, but I didn't have time to look into it.

- Besides, I propose to hold a haircut salon, tomorrow, for those who want... Or have to, he added, looking at Lin.

- Yes, thank you, Kris, good idea. And I take first place, she added with a smile.

- Of course, Captain. At your command, Captain.

- Get out of there before I throw you out with a well-placed kick, kiddo!

- Save your kicks for Erik! Kris responded by walking out, leaving behind him a very startled Viking.

- For me ? But...

- Did you do something stupid, litla min?

- Not that I know.