CHAPTER 3

"You're the worst dad ever!" shouted the fifteen-year-old, throwing his new phone against the wall of the living room. Red Christmas wrapping scattered onto the rug from a previous outburst. "I wanted the new iPhone!" He shouted. His once combed hair was matted. His red Christmas T-shirt and pants cost well over four hundred dollars.

"My life has been really tough, Joseph." sighed his father, who was tired of yelling. Tired of everything he could see. Tired of his life being nothing but a black hole of misery.

"I know why you couldn't get it right." Sneered the teen. "You dumped your boyfriend last week. Or I guess more of a 'boy toy.' You don't care about me. You were just thinking about yourself, weren't you? I wish you had never adopted me."

"Go to your room. Right now." Bryce held in his tears, resorting to a parental tone of voice, his fists balled.

"Gladly." nodded Joe as he ascended the fancy staircase covered in Christmas décor. Silent Night played softly on the TV along with a video of a fireplace.

Bryce sat on the red leather couch, a tear trickled down his cheek, his blonde slicked back hair nicely put together. He was indeed dressed well, hoping to go out with his son and see some Christmas festivities. Instead, he glanced outside a large window in his living room, at a wintery landscape. Alone. Empty on Christmas eve. He stared at the decorations of reindeer and Santa statues other wealthy people had proudly displayed.

Grabbing his cellphone from his pocket, he dialed a number, rolling up the sleeves to his button-up shirt. "Hey dad? It's Bryce. I'm not... doing good at all. Joseph is just getting worse. I broke up with Ryan a few weeks ago. I don't think I can do this anymore. Feeling like I should move or... something. I thought I could help Joseph. I failed him. He's still the monster he was when I got him. I just need you. For some advice. Call me back when you can. Love you." He cried softly, putting his face onto the armrest of the couch. Hoping this was all some nightmare. I'm thirty. Why the hell did I adopt a kid? Why did I think my relationship was going to work? I should be out partying. Going to raves and clubs. I wanted to be a dad early. I thought I was ready. Hell, I would've been ready if I had a kind kid! Why did I have to get Damien himself? If there is a God, I think he hates me.

After leaving his melancholy message, Bryce poured himself a glass of wine and watched some old Christmas movie on TV. Wonder if I should just go out and leave my son? Have my own fun? See some lights and enjoy being in the company of people who won't hate me. Holidays aren't about family. It's about people who love and respect you and spending time with them.

***

Joseph, meanwhile, played video games in his bedroom. A bedroom which was covered in posters and nude women. It held a gigantic bed, a long computer desk, rare figures of movie and TV show characters and comics. No longer was he in day clothes, he now wore red pajama pants and a tank top. Along with his bloody shooting video game, loud rock music blared from his computer speaker. Not caring if neighbors were trying to sleep. Caring less so if his dad was trying to sleep.

With a yawn, the teen turned off his TV and music and shut the lights off. Dunking himself in complete darkness.

Resting on his bed wrapped in a blanket, he went on social media with a click of his tablet.

Before long, Joseph was fast asleep. He heard footsteps upon his roof, smiling at the thought of Santa.