part 16

When I got inside the car, I quickly buckled up while pulling out my phone and listening to music through my headphones. I was so focused on the music that I didn't notice he had driven downtown on the opposite side of town from where the school was.

We were close to several shops and boutiques. It didn't make sense for us to be here.

"What exactly are we doing here?" I asked him as I paused my music and took my headphones out.

"Just wait," he said as he parked the car and walked out. I watched as he entered "Ivy's," a small shop. He was there for five minutes before walking out with a bouquet of roses. When he handed me the bouquet, he hopped in the car. As he searched for his keys, I furrowed my brows.

"What are these for?"

"It's an apology gift." I raised my eyebrows at him and questioned his motives.

"Really?"

"No," he deadpanned.

He looked for his car keys, then started the engine and drove out of the small and narrow street.

He started driving, making a left turn, and even though I wasn't familiar with the streets here, I knew the school was on the other side of town and we were only getting further away from it.

"Where are we going?" I asked Nico, but his gaze was fixed on the road, and he didn't bother answering my question.

He ignored me with a small smirk.

"I'm serious, Nico, where are you going?" I was watching as we approached the freeway this time.

"What's with all the questions?" "Relax," he said as he reached forward to the dashboard and turned on the faint music that was about to drown out anything I had to say.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, looking at the window for any sign to locate where we were even going.

***

We were approaching an exit about 30 minutes after entering the freeway. I hadn't even asked Nico where we were going; he'd simply ignored my question, but from the signs, I could tell we were approaching a small town smaller than the one we lived in. It wasn't until we got to a windy road that we passed by the town's outskirts.

As the car approached the large but mostly empty parking lot, it began to slow down. We both got out of the car after he parked it. We were close to the ocean, and the water and wind made everything seem much colder. I experienced chills running up and down my body.

And, despite wearing a hoodie, the thin fabric didn't keep me warm.

I was getting closer to the large planks that made up the old boardwalk. I cast a glance behind me and noticed Nico approaching me with the bouquet of flowers.

I raised an eyebrow, confused, as he took the lead and began walking further down the boardwalk. On one side were a slew of run-down buildings, and on the other was the oceanfront. He moved closer to the clanky stairs leading to the grainy sand on the oceanfront side.

When we got to the bottom of the stairs and started walking towards this small bench, our shoes left imprints on the soft sand.

"What are we doing at the beach?" As I sat down, I asked him.

"I'll explain later; I just need you to hold these flowers." He pushed the flowers into my hands and began to pull his phone from his pocket. I quickly stood up and covered his camera as he raised his phone to take a picture.

"What are you doing?" I said as I snatched his phone from his grasp.

"I was about to take a picture," he explained.