8. Carla

SEXY TRAITOR

Warmth enveloped the kitchen, both physically and figuratively. Steam climbed from Eva's teacup, and the mimosas Dante had poured the rest of us were doing the job they were assigned to do.

The warmth in my cheeks felt wonderful as I studied the relaxed faces of my friends sitting at the exquisitely large dining table.

Dante was fond of the table and he often talked about our children filling the seats in the future whenever I mentioned how massive it was.

On the stove, a soup called Caldo Gallego simmered unhurriedly, heat rising from the pot to the ceiling, enticing us with its delectable smell.

"Damn, whatever your man is making over there smells like the kind of food I would expect to find in a queen's kitchen," Jenna exclaimed. "What is it called again?"

Dante answered before I could. "Caldo Gallego."

"Never heard of it. Tell me, why does it smell so good? What's the secret?"

"Some say it's the turnip leaves."

"And what do you say?" Jenna asked with honey dripping from her tone.

"I believe it's rich in flavor because of the ham and beef bone. I grew up eating this soup in Galicia. It was my mom's favorite."

"Then it must be delicious. Can I taste?"

Dante's gaze met mine and I smiled before nodding.

"Sure," he said before grabbing a clean spoon and dipping it in the pot. Jenna joined him next to the stove, and he lifted the spoon to her lips, keeping one hand below it in case of a spill.

Jenna leaned forward and parted her lips to taste the small amount of liquid on the spoon. Dante took a step back and then waited for her reaction.

"Gosh, I love the sight of a man standing in the kitchen with an apron on cooking," Eva said and I whipped my head to look at her. She smiled broadly once she had my attention and then under her breath, muttered, "You need to watch that one before she sinks her claws into your man."

My gaze traveled back to Dante, who seemed unaware of Jenna's flirtatious mannerisms.

"And what do you think?" he asked her.

With her eyes still closed, Jenna's smile widened, showing off lovely white teeth that were perfectly aligned in her seductive little mouth.

Her whispery lashes lifted and her smile broadened even more when she caught Dante's eyes as he waited for her reaction. "Very very tasty. You're a fantastic chef. You've got to give me the recipe!"

What the hell? Did she make us wait in suspense for such a generic response? A missed opportunity, really.

Nonetheless, my husband's neck burned red from the compliment.

Fucking traitor.

Fucking sexy traitor.

I took a large sip of my mimosa, all the while keeping my eyes glued on the two of them.

"I'll have Carla send it to you," Dante said in a low voice that was designed to make panties wet. Mine in particular.

Jenna practically beamed. "Thank you." With a giddy little twirl, she turned to face the table. "That soup is the B-O-M-B. Does he cook like that for you every day?"

"Yes, every day."

"Incredible. I would be so fat. How are you not like obese?"

I tracked Dante as he moved around the kitchen. From behind Jenna, he sent me a wink before moving on to making the salad.