25. Carla

BABY-MAKING LOVE

I led Dante to the secluded balcony adjoining the private lounge on the hospital's seventh floor. As Dante and I stepped onto it, we were greeted by a refreshing breeze that carried the faint scent of blooming flowers from the nearby rooftop garden.

The balcony was adorned with potted plants, and wrought-iron railings crawling with delicate ivy provided a sense of calm without obstructing the view.

A couple of cozy chairs and a small table sat against the wall. From this height, we had a view of the surrounding cityscape. The streets below bustled with life, but up here, it was quiet, a small, serene slice of heaven.

Dante caught up to me and pushed me against the wall right next to the door as it fell shut behind us. We stared at each other briefly before our lips met in a fervent kiss. For a second, the world faded away, allowing me to focus on the sinful lips devouring mine.

There was a passionate urgency in the way we came together. My heart raced, not just from the intensity of our connection but from the deep well of anxiety that threatened to overwhelm me.

The thought of my mother fighting for her life while in surgery weighed heavily on my mind. The fear that she might not make it through gnawed at me, and the ever-present threat from my anonymous tormentor added another layer of tension to the moment.

Breaking the kiss, I gazed into Dante's eyes, feeling like I could be vulnerable. "Dante," I began, my voice betraying me with worry, "what did the last note say?"

Dante ran the back of his fingers down the side of my face to my neck. His expression darkened before softening.

"I promise I'll keep you safe," he assured me. "But right now, let's focus on your mother and her recovery. We'll deal with that threat later, okay?"

I swallowed. "Okay."

His lips curved into a smile. "You've grown a lot, cariño. Old Carla wouldn't have been able to let this go."

"Old Carla wanted to know everything about you. Curiosity got the best of me then." I grinned.

"Do you feel like you know everything you wanted to know?" he asked deeply.

"Not even close, but I trust you with my life, and that's enough."

He looked pleased with my answer, but as he continued to stare at me, skepticism took over. "Tell me."

"Have you given any more thought about starting a family together?" I didn't know where the question came from, but maybe it had something to do with my last known family member lying in a hospital bed on the brink of death.

"Every fucking day, baby. The thought of you carrying my children is so hot to me."

My insides warmed at the thought. "Boy or girl?"

"Girls. Lots of girls."

"Why am I not surprised by that revelation?" I leaned in and kissed the side of his neck. He swallowed audibly when my tongue glided across his skin. "How soon do you want to start?"

"Carla," he grumbled lowly. "Don't fuck with me."

"Why not? Because, if like you said, lots of babies, we have to start now."

"You're on the pill."

"Not a problem. With all the commotion, I forgot to take one yesterday, and today, oh well, I'll forget it too." I pressed close and caught his earlobe between my teeth.

He released a long, heavy breath. "And the threat? We know now that this person isn't joking. I can't bear the thought of losing you and our unborn baby."