Chapter 12 - You Are Special

Enjō looked back at Omega, his body starting to heat up," It's the guy from the apartment," He whispered hoarsely.

Omega nodded and whispered back," The copy didn't work, I might as well hear what he has to say."

"But you don't know if-" Enjō tried to warn him but Omega already made up his mind. He walked toward the bench where Steele was already sitting, and Enjō stared at Omega.

It's so weird, this Steele guy has a weird feel about him. So why do I feel like I could leave them alone?

As Omega sat down next to him, he looked back at Enjō and noticed his distress.

"I think it'll be okay, just go get the groceries, okay?"

Enjō gulped, his eyebrows tensed and his eyes now focused on Steele, who wasn't looking at him. As Enjō left, Omega reluctantly opened his mouth to speak when he was interrupted.

"You are the special Omega case in the 18th Shacian Hatchery of 2046," Steele looked down at Omega with a toothless grin," It's quite the honor to meet you." He brought out his hand for a shake.

Although his hand didn't appear dangerous, Omega looked down at it and thought, It's just like the one time in that facility. The feeling from the machine. It's in his hand.

His droopy eyes widened as he looked back up at Steele.

"Ooh, cold shoulder," He retracted his hand and sarcastically winced,"Anyway, I'll get straight to the point."

Omega is still side-eyeing Steele with his restless eyes, but he didn't seem bothered.

"My first question being, are you aware of what you are? What an Omega is?"

He awaited a response that never came.

"...To put it lightly, your kind is a technological failure. In fact, most of you don't live to your age. They typically look like they're suffering of malnutrition by the time they're 7 years old, then die at an average of 10 years old. There are many theories and rumors spreading about claiming what the Omega are, but no one knows better than me..." He paused for a moment, to seemingly let Omega's thoughts marinate,"...What do you think of all this?"

"I don't know. Am I an "Omega" to you?"

Steele crossed his legs and pondered,"Hm, excellent question. You're quite special I think. You were, and still are unjustly classified as Omega, but I'd think if you never awakened your soul, you would be just like the rest of them, don't you think?"

Steele thought for a moment," I could get rid of your marking for you, if you wanted."

"What? What marking?"

"It's at a different place for everyone, but yours is at your lower neck. Haven't you noticed some older people's scrunched up faces when you turn around?"

Omega touched the back of his neck and felt an uncomfortable feeling in his core as he thought about what he said.

"Why is this all about me?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I just thought you'd like to know what it is you are..." Steele raised an eyebrow,"...You have been wondering, haven't you?"

Brushing off his words, Omega demanded,"What do you want out of this talk? Out of me?"

Steele looked down at him for a while, until he responded," To be honest, I don't quite know. I suppose I just wanted you to know who you are first."

First? Omega thought.

"I think it's best that we learn about each other, wouldn't you agree?"

Omega visibly sealed his lips. Steele frowned in response," What? Really? Not even a little bit? Maybe if I tell you about me, you'll be more open."

Eye-roll.

"2034 was when I was born, so I'm not an artificial human. Unlike a lot of natural humans, I don't harbor any ill will to artificials. Some people in my workplace are even artificial and we get along just fine. I was born alongside my twin sister, but she died when she was 19 years old, I never knew my mother, and as you may know, my father also disappeared, after my sister's death. I really do look up to him though," With a sigh he looked down at Omega again.

"Family. That's one thing I've always found myself appreciating around an Artificial. Without family, I'd have been nothing, but somehow many Artificials seem so full. Even you."

At this point in time, Omega has been questioning the sanity of Steele.

"...Don't you wish you had a family? To live a normal life, with a normal childhood...to go to school. You never got to do any of that. Most of you never do, and I feel like humanity robs you of that..." Steele's eyes lead away from Omega,"...But of course it's necessary for the preservation of all of us."

Omega's mind went into deep thought, and he hated it.

"I'm pretty sure I've made the conversation not solely about you now, and I have my answer now. So I'll leave you with some advice."

Omega searched the store's windows to see if Enjō was almost done as his stomach continued to turn in his presence.

"I'm sure you've been around the abandoned parking garage, considering you went to the concert at Knox. You saw something there, didn't you?"

Omega's eyes began to shudder, How did he know we were there? He thought.

"Face it. Look at it straight in the eyes. Conquer that fear within your soul, your very first fear."

When Omega looked up at Steele again, he noticed his eyes staring into his own. Rather, his eyes were looking past him, like he was looking into his soul.

"And my other piece of advice to you, protect the ones you love, because you'll learn they mean much more than you think."

After finishing his sentence, the tight air cleared and Steele stopped eye contact.

"So what is your name, Omega?"

Omega could feel his breath slowly relaxing," I don't... I don't know."

Steele frowned,"...Well then, until next time," He got up from the bench and walked away, "Special Omega."