CHAPTER 5 (Beguiled)

The motel room April stayed in for the past two days was once blue and cheerful but has become a symbol of neglect. The wallpaper is peeling, revealing damp plaster; the single window is grimy, and the worn-out carpet is stained and brown.

A sagging bed with gray sheets and a moth-eaten blanket dominated the room. A worn table marked by burns and coffee stains stood in a corner, with a flickering lamp casting eerie shadows. The air was heavy with the smell of musty fabric and stale smoke.

It made her sick to be there, but it was the best she could get with her tight budget and the time of day she had left the Home to find a place to stay. It was far from ideal, but for now, it was home, she thought as she set the luggage down and sat on the bed.

How long would Rose's anger last this time? In the past, even when Rose would get upset and send her away, she always trusted that Viktor would call her back once Rose was feeling better.

But this time, she doubts Viktor will call her back, and neither will Rose feel better soon. If she were in Rose's shoes, it would take longer.

Besides, it would be more embarrassing to see Jacob every day now. She tried convincing herself, and it worked until she got a call from some kids at Cantia. They told her that Rose had told them she wouldn't be returning to Cantia.

She immediately suspected something was off and was compelled to call Jacob to find out what was going on, despite having left without informing him in the first place.

But there was no point in telling him when he would've just made her stay back, which would've aggravated Rose's temper even more.

Jacob wouldn't have understood since he was new, but it was always best for her to do what Rose said despite how inconvenient it might be.

However, spending nights in a cheap motel when she should have been back in Cantia trying to clear her name of the rumors made no sense to her this time.

And despite knowing where Rose's anger stemmed from, she felt Rose had no right to ban anyone from returning to Cantia.

"Ms Turner," he greeted, but a sudden nervousness threatened to break his voice.

"Hello, Sir," she greeted back before stating why she called without hesitation. "What's going over there, Sir? I just got a call from the kids, and they were upset, saying that Rose told them I was no longer welcome in Cantia. Did I really do something wrong, Sir?"

He went silent for a brief moment, making her assume he was now in support of Rose's verdict.

She had always been articulate with funds, so she knew the rumors were fake, and she felt unfairly treated by the magnitude of its effect.

"I don't know about that yet," he finally stated, "but Rose has no such right to ban you from returning to the Home. I won't let that stand."

"I thought you'd explained things about that night to her, especially that nothing happened between us."

"I did explain things to her, but who knows what's going on in her head?"

"I never planned on staying away for good. I only left briefly to pacify her, but clearly, she's still upset with me. Was I found guilty of the rumor by chance?"

It still bothered her that evidence was found in the first place. So, she thought there was no reason to return to Cantia if that was the case.

What she didn't know, however, was that Jacob already knew the whole truth.

"No, you weren't," he comforted, fearing she might get the wrong idea. "However, staying away doesn't help your case either. I can assist you in clearing your name, but I'll need your help, too."