Chichago - Part II

Buck hummed happily as he parked his black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, a graduation gift from his sister, in his garage spot in the Westerly Chicago Apartment Complex. He has a two bedroom apartment here, a... gift from his parents. Another way to make sure he does not return to Philadelphia to bother them.

Why would he? When he has this luxurious apartment, a job, and life in Chicago?

Well, better for me, Buck whistled amused. If they want to throw money at me, who am I to refuse such a generous offer?

"Good evening Raul," Buck greeted the apartment manager, as the elevator left him on the ground floor.

"Good evening Buck," Raul smiled at the friendly young firefighter. Ever since Buck had moved in, a new sense of community has spread through Westerly. There are football match watching potlucks in the resident lounge, monthly BBQ gatherings at the rooftop party room, and the young people are always meeting by the pool and the fitness center. "So, you are finally back! Where did you go to this time?"

"Nashville!" Buck smiled at Raul, who had this grandfatherly nature. "A treat to myself after I got my accreditation in Urban Search and Rescue."

"Y tu español, ¿como viene?°" Raul teased him.

"Muy bien, pase el examen DELE con un nivel B1," Buck beamed in pride.

"Congratulations!" Raul praised him, before handing him the mail Buck had come to collect. "Also, this lawyer came by yesterday. She says that she used to work for your grandparents."

"My grandparents?" Buck inquired startled. "They diedd when I was three years old."

"Maybe you came into some inheritance?" Raul deduced.

"Wouldn't they have come to me earlier?" Buck shook his head.

"Well, you only now turned 22, maybe they left some stipulations for when you pick it up," Raul reasoned. "Anyway, here's the contact information she left. She said that she'll be staying in Chicago for a week, for some business. You should contact her just in case."

Which was what he did and three days later he is having dinner at the Pendry Chicago Hotel with her.

"Thank you for meeting me Mr. Buckley. I'm Amanda Smith, an old friend of your grandmother's," the redhead smiled, as they both took their seats. "She and her husband left me in charge of their wills. Your parents and your sister had already received their inheritance. Now it is your time."

"That's what has me confused, ah, and call me Buck please. Mr. Buckley is my father," Buck told her. Before they could continue the waiter came and asked fot their orders. "Why now? Why not before?" Buck turned back to Amanda, once the waiter was gone.

"They left a number of stipulations your sister and you had to achieve before being allowed access," Mrs. Smith answered patiently. "You need to have graduated from an university, any university and for any degree. You then should have held a job for longer than a year, and lastly you should be at least 22 years old." She smiled at the waiter, who brought them two cups of red wine, and took out some papers. "You graduated Magna Cum Laude in not one but two bachelor degrees, from the University of Florida. You've been part of the CFD for a year, almost two if you do not count your time as a probie, And you've recently turned 22. As such you finally are granted access."

"Pork tenderloin with red wine gravy for the lady, and lobster ravioli for the sir," the waiter placed the plates before the dinning pair. "Would you require anything else?"

"No, thank you," Buck smiled at the waiter, making him blush.

"You have your grandfather's charm," Amanda chuckled as the flustered waiter retired, and cut into her tenderloin.