Chapter 2: Hitchhike

10:23 PM

.

.

.

Both of you waited for a while as you couldn't do anything except wait for a car to come to pick you up.

𝗪𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝘄 𝗮 𝗰𝗮𝗿 𝗻𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴.

You saw the front light of a car approaching, Holly quickly waved her arms to ask for help, but the driver quickly drove passed you both without turning back.

You grunted as you stomped your feet angrily before you decided to wait for another car.

.

.

.

You finally noticed other lights from the car shining from afar. You both quickly waved your hands, hoping that the car would stop. You saw the car go passed before you noticed the car begin to slow down and park slightly far from Holly's car.

You squealed happily and hopped on the spot two times before you and Holly quickly rushed to the car and looked at the driver. You realized that it was the guy from the gas station who was silent all the time when you interacted with him.

"You both are the girls from the gas station." The man said after he rolled down the window to talk with you and Holly.

"Yeah. I remember you!" You said, nodding and pointing at him.

"Thank you so much for stopping." Holly said with gratitude.

"What are you two trying to do out here?"

"I think my car just broke down." The man went silent as Holly explained to him. "We can't call for help, there's no phone service."

"You think we can get a ride?" You asked him.

"Where are you both heading to?" He asked.

"Just the nearest stop where we can call for help." Holly answered him.

"There's only one seat in the car, so one of you has to sit on the trunk."

You and Holly exchanged looks, thinking of who should sit at the back. As you were going to say you would sit on the back, Holly cut you off.

"I will."

"Then, hop in."

"Thanks so much, could you wait till we get our stuff?" Holly asked, pointing at her car.

"Hurry up, just throw it in the back. I won't be here for too long."

You both nodded as you went to Holly's car trunk and carried the package and dog food to the man's car trunk. You breathed out happily before you helped Holly hop into the trunk as she was surrounded by the packages.

You went to the man and told him. "We're done."

"And you friend?"

"She's ready."

"Finally, now hop in. Be quick." You nodded before you went to the right side of the car and hopped inside. You quickly put the seatbelt on before he started the car and drove. You turned your back to check on Holly as she gripped the package and the rim of the trunk to keep herself from falling.

"So you won't tell me who you and your friend are - where you're going?" You turned to the man as he suddenly asked you.

"Holly was driving home and I was in her car." The man went silent again as you told him the story. "And that piece of crap broke down on us."