~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~

CHAPTER 16:

Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor

~~**~~

|Archer|

I watched as a sleek BMW came to a stop in front of us. The driver's side window rolled down and Colton's annoyed face came into view, he eyed us up and down judgmentally.

Not that I blamed him, Fallon and I looked like a complete mess right now. We were both soaked due to the late-night ocean swim we'd taken. I'd given her my shirt to wear over her drenched dress so I was currently shirtless.

"Is there a reason why you called me at the crack of dawn and asked me to pick you both up from the beach?" Colton demanded in a flat tone, his grey eyes turned to me.

I ran a hand through my hair awkwardly. "We couldn't get a cab or any public transportation at this time." I shoved my hands into the pockets of my trunks and looked at my feet. "You were the only person I could call."

Colton let out an exasperated sigh. His gaze turned to Fallon who had started shivering due to the chilly air and I swore I could see his hard expression soften a little. I gave Colton a pleading look. He rolled his eyes but thankfully I heard him press the auto-unlock button. I quickly opened the door to the backseat for Fallon who gave me a small timid smile before getting in.

That smile had everything inside me reeling. Her smiles were like drops of sunshine, warm and vibrant and I wanted to collect them all for myself.

Maybe her smiles could brighten some of the darkness that had settled inside me.

"You'll find my gym bag on the backseat, there's a clean sweatshirt in it. You can put it on if you want Hastings." Colton said in a bored voice pulling me out of my thoughts.

I quickly unzipped the bag and put on the grey sweatshirt inside.

I got in the passenger side seat myself.

"If you guys ruin my suede seats with your damp clothes there will be hell to pay," Colton muttered.

He started the car and wordlessly turned on the heater.

~~**~~

We dropped Fallon at her apartment first.

To his credit, Colton didn't even flinch when we reached Fallon's shady neighborhood. He didn't drive away till Fallon was safely inside and had texted me saying she'd reached her apartment.

The drive to my house was quiet and tense.

"Thanks again for picking us, man. I owe you one." I said finally breaking the silence.

He just gave me a stiff nod. His gaze turned to me and he looked at me questioningly.

"I know it's not really my place to ask, but what exactly is going on between you and Fallon Chambers?" He pursed his lips. "You know, when I first saw you guys I could have sworn there was something going on between you two." He shook his head. "But then I overheard Fallon asking Caroline Williams to bet on you at the auction and I was fucking confused,"

My whole body stiffened at his words.

Fallon has asked Caroline to bid on me?

I didn't like the thought of Fallon convincing another girl to go on a date with me. I didn't like it one bit. The displeasure I felt at her actions was absurd because that's what we'd agreed on in the first place. I would fix Fallon's car and in return, she'd get me a date with Caroline Williams.