~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~

CHAPTER 35:

Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom

~~**~~

Peyton and I gazed around Caroline's stunning bedroom with wide eyes. Her bed alone was practically the size of my entire room. The chandelier that hung overhead probably cost more than my apartment altogether. The room itself was two levels, with the bed, a mini dressing room, a walk-in closet in the lower portion, and a home cinema and a chic seating area that opened into the balcony from where you could see the beautiful ocean.

Sometimes I forgot how much money some people had. Funny, how people who seemingly lived in two completely different worlds could co-exist in one.

There was a part of me that felt a wave of bitterness.

 How come Peyton and I had to work double shifts just to keep a roof over our heads when there were people who had extra houses built just to entertain guests? 

How come I had to cut down to only one meal a day some months so I could have running water when there were people throwing parties with dozens of tables heaped full of food and marble fountains?

"I'm so glad you guys came over," Caroline said sweetly as she carried in a tray with what seemed to be mugs filled with steaming hot chocolate.

She handed Peyton and me a mug each, before grabbing one herself and settling down on the bed across from us.

The bitterness I had felt earlier immediately dissipated. Caroline was one of the kindest people I knew. It was impossible to feel anything but affection for her. She was graceful in the way that she acknowledged that she was privileged but didn't have the air of superiority people of her stature usually carried. I didn't feel uncomfortable in her presence even though the difference between us was astounding.

There was a knock before the enormous doors to the room slid open. A beautiful woman with beautiful honey hair and sparkling blue eyes stepped inside. She wore a pretty white sundress. The resemblance she had with Caroline was uncanny.

"Caroline, you forgot the cookies in the kitchen." She gave us a friendly wave.

"Oh, thanks, mom," Caroline responded with a bright smile.

Peyton nearly spit out her hot chocolate and I choked on air.

I'd assumed she was Caroline's older sister or a cool aunt.

"Mom? You're either a vampire or you have a magical skincare routine." Peyton wheezed.

"I always thought Caroline was too perfect for this world. I can't believe there's two of you. I feel like my brain is short-circuiting." I said with a grimace.

Mrs. Williams laughed. "You girls are so sweet." She turned her gaze to her daughter, her expression stern, "Why is this the first time I'm meeting these lovely ladies?"

Caroline looked bashful. "We just recently became friends." Her eyes met Peyton's and then came to settle on mine. Her gaze was sincere. "It's a shame that it happened so late."

"You girls should come here more often." Mrs. Williams placed the plate of cookies in front of us and plopped down on the bed beside her daughter.

"Have I ever met either of your parents before? In a social gathering maybe?"

A familiar sinking feeling seemed to start tugging at my chest.

Caroline placed a gentle hand on my bicep. "Fallon's parents passed away when she was very young." She told her mother softly.