Chapter I

Vincent had only a few friends in high school, he never belonged to any group, he was always with one or two people with whom he’d spend his class breaks. One day, he got to know a young lady, almost his age, called Harley, she was a blonde girl with glasses, having a soft spirit, calm and polite enough to be part of his friendship list. Their first talk was virtual, through social media platforms, where they could hide behind the screen, as they were too shy to have a face-to-face conversation. The two friends did not talk much about the future or their passion for studies; most of it was about what they went through: those of the past and routine affairs. As Vincent had just recovered from his previous relationship, he could share a bit with his new friend about it. While for her, she had someone who was not clear about himself towards her.
“I don’t understand how he could move on easily and I couldn’t” she said, “I fell for him too.”
“that’s okay, perhaps because you were honest. But don’t you worry, I’ll be there for you.” typed the gentleman.
A short silence broke into the conversation until Vincent thought it ended, but in fact the night just began for a deep discussion.
“Good night, I know you’re going to sleep well, but I don’t know if it’s the case for me.”
“You know, when I had a heart as kind as yours, the same thing happened to me.”
“How?” she asked “could you tell me about it”
“I’m always having negative thoughts, even when I’m in bed, because of how sincere my love was” he replied, “when you get your heart broken to the point you can no longer feel, that’s when you know you no longer have one to break anymore”.
“Could you tell me what happened?”
“Well, she said she doesn’t love me anymore, so we had definitely to break up.”
“And did you break up with her?”
“Well, I didn’t, I never broke up with any girl I loved” he paused, then explained “but you know what, all that pain pushed me to understand how feelings function; I burned all the pain in my heart, I smiled, I laughed, and most importantly I cried.” He added.
“I’m truly sorry, I could be there by your side back then, but unfortunately we never met at that time.”
The next day, Vincent got a text again from her, what could he say about his day, he was in shock. His dog was kidnapped, he saw it as a person rather than an animal, he cried next to him, laughed, he was part of him, a firm attachment of a loyal friend.
“How would someone feel after losing half of his family, buried under the ground, and the only memory he has of them is the dog they all used to caress. He was there for me when I lost all of them, in every funeral, in every moment the dead bodies were carried in front of my eyes, he barked and almost cried for seeing me in that extreme sadness. Is life inconsiderable to this level?”
“Do you have all of this within?”
_ “nowhere it could go” responded Vincent.
Their daily talk was like a visit to a doctor, they could get everything out of their minds, as well as hearts, and renew all their thoughts and exchange emotions. Harley did not know much about him nor him about her, but they had a mutual trust they couldn’t break. Although they felt far from each other, those late-night calls could unite them as if they were in the same place, under the same sky. Vincent never felt it that way when he was previously in love, but only when this lady took place in his life, a sense of belonging kept growing for both. They were a real example of best friends. He realized that he was lost in that delusional darkness he was in, where he believed love would permanently stay without any sacrifice or pain to get it right.
The same night, the young man received two records of her and another guy singing separately, he seemed to like hers more, in fact, he only cared about what she could say and do, he intended to know things about her. Although they were friends, new feelings seem to show up. Vincent and Harley were obsessed by one another, everything he did was her interest and same goes for him.
The first meeting at school was very awkward for them both, they would just look at each other and smile with no words, they may wave but never talk. Meeting after another, word after word, the virtual conversation became a reality, this intimate friendship was leading further paths, a road to love, to falling in each other’s hands effortlessly, like an egg in a nest. She was a golden looking young woman with shy traits that got Vincent’s heart twisted. While for her, the gentle words he used uniquely for her were magic, which made both hearts become one in a bright night where shinning stars were staring and a luminous moon connecting those two atoms of pure love. Those nights, a smile on their faces was on every moment taken before they fall asleep, there weren’t any ‘I love you’s, yet missing each other all day, waiting for that special time at night to listen to each other’s voice like a well-played melody they could alone make.
The most fun part of it was the video call, when they would play “truth or dare”, and do crazy challenges that ended up with laughter and a more exciting vibe to do more. They would film themselves and record to keep all of it as memories. Neither Vincent nor Harley could forget about that night they decided to write a novel about two vampires, whose love story was mysterious. It was created in their chat, modifying words and sentences and discussed every detail of it to make it better.