𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 #𝟏 ☯︎

•Empress Meili•

He has started once again. The Emperor has started yelling at his innocent counsellors for the umpteenth time. She could hear his voice coming towards the room she was sitting in. She looked at the little girl sleeping beside her, soundlessly.

The little princessㅡ her daughter, turned in her sleep, clutching her mother's dress. Empress Meili brushed off the streak of black hair falling on her face and stroked her hair until she was in deep slumber again.

Suddenly, the doors of the room burst open and in came the fiery Emperor. He huffed in anger and kicked the door shut. "Your Majestyㅡ" Empress Meili was about to say something when the Emperor grabbed a porcelain vase and threw it on the ground.

"Your Majesty! The princess is sleeping!" Empress Meili rushed to the Emperor to prevent him from throwing things anymore. "Princess, my foot! You couldn't even give birth to a son!" he screamed at her face. Empress Meili fought back tears. She was already insulted enough for not giving birth to a son by the citizens and the Court.

"Your Majesty, we have talked about this," said Empress Meili, gulping down the lump that formed in her throat.

"I must re-marry," the Emperor said fiercely. "What?" Empress Meili exclaimed. Re-marriage? How could he think of such a thing? "Your Majesty, how could you say something like thatㅡ"

"I am sick of it, Meili! I am sick of it!" the Emperor's voice rang through the emptiness of the night. "Your Majesty!" Empress Meili yelled and turned to see the sleeping princess. "She's asleepㅡ"

She broke halfway through her sentence as her eyes fell on the little princess sitting on the bed, listening to their arguments. Empress Meili's eyes blurred with tears again. The little princess had seen enoughㅡ she had seen her parents argue every day, every night she lived. And she only lived for six years. If the arguments continued, how will she see her parents by the time she is grown up? They would be nothing but the girl's reason for trauma.

"Jin'Er, go back to sleep." Empress Meili tried to reassure her daughter with a gentle smile. But Princess Jinlia kept staring at her parents. She got out of bed and ran to hug her mother. "Mother... why did you leave my side?" she said, burying her face in her gut. She looked up at the gigantic figure standing a few feet away from Empress Meili and ran to hug him.

"Father, are you going to marry again?" the little girl said, sadly. Empress Meili wanted to cry out loud. There was something so painful about the way the Princess asked the question.

"Get off me!" the angry Emperor yelled at her. Princess Jinlia flinched and fell back. "You are not even my own blood and flesh!" he roared.

All of a sudden, the Emperor took out his shining sword and pointed it at the little princess. Before Empress Meili could understand what was happening, the silent room filled with the slashing of the sword and then, the piercing cry of a child.

Empress Meili's heart stopped as she raced towards the wounded princess. The princess had her face pressed against her palms, her blood smeared all over the room and furniture, her painful cry piercing their ears. "Your Majesty, are you insane?!" Empress Meili shouted at the Emperor. She looked at her daughter's faceㅡ her damaged eyes out of which came blood pouring down her smooth cheeks. "Jin'Er, it's okay. Don't cry, Mother's here, right?" Empress Meili hugged her daughter tightly but her cries did not subside.