六. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐀𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧 ☯︎

"What?! Assassins in Shenghuo?" Xiao Jun stopped sipping his drink and stared at Li Liang in surprise. "And you are to take care of them tonight?"

"Surprising, I know," Li Liang said, narrowing his eyes.

"Which one? The Emperor choosing you to kill, or the assassins?" Xiao Jun said casually.

"I'll kill you first."

"Actually, no, it's not surprising," Yi Ning said slowly. "The supposed last assassin of Shenghuo was spotted twenty-four years ago but there was no evidence he died or the group disbanded. He just disappeared. So maybe his leadership passed on to someone else?"

"Where are you going tonight, though?" Xiao Jun asked.

"Cheng Pang village, she was last spotted there," Li Liang said bitterly. "Last night a few of them burned down another official's house."

"She?" Yi Ning repeated.

"Oh yes, the Blind Assassin is a woman," he replied.

"Well go and humble any woman if you want but don't get yourself assassinated," Xiao Jun threw a sarcastic grin at his best friend.

"And if you succeed, tell me what she looked like."

At this, Yi Ning shot up in rage. "'Tell me what she looked like'?How can you even say such things?!"

"Cool down, Miss Huo."

"You are only saying such vile things because it's not you who is doing the task."

"As if I wish it was me."

"If it were youㅡ"

"ㅡI would've run away."

"You come nowhere close to Lili."

"Stop saying vile things."

"Have you looked at yourself in the mirrorㅡ"

"Yes, and I see a charming young man smiling at me."

"You are a foul bastard!"

"Look who is speaking."

"I will have to report you to Master Chenㅡ"

"Do you hear something?"

"Youㅡ"

"Both of you, please, stop!" Li Liang shouted and the room fell silent immediately. A while later, both Yi Ning and Xiao Jun spoke together.

"He started itㅡ"

"You saw who didㅡ"

"Please, stop it, I beg you!" Li Liang sighed and looked out of the window of the room they were sitting in. Outside, the women and men of Songchi were helping each other to serve customers.

Li Liang got up and said, "I have to go now, Shao must be waiting for me."

"Well, stay safe..." Yi Ning said in a worried voice.

"Don't get yourself killed, I am counting on you!" Xiao Jun said, winking.

"Thank you," Li Liang smiled at his friends before going out of the room.

The entire day, he spent time with his friends in Songchi and as dusk neared, he grew more anxious about the meeting with the assassin.

It was his first time doing such a job. It was his first chance to prove his competence to the Emperor. If he succeeds in this job, he'll be successful in bringing back the lost Princess too. And then his mother will be free and he'll have nothing to do with the Emperor.