二. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝑩𝒂𝒐𝒔𝒉𝒊 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡-𝐑𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬 ☯︎

Li Liang sighed in relief as he fled from the troubling lady. Women were scary.

Looking around the lawn for a while, he came to notice a familiar figure resting against a tree trunk. It was the slim figure of the boy back in the fighting arena. Li Liang made his way towards the boy. The boy didn't take notice of him for when he stood before him, the boy stood up in great horror and shock before bowing. Li Liang told him to sit back down while he sat beside him.

"Are you okay?" Li Liang asked in a concerned voice as his eyes surveyed the boy's figure. Two big bruises formed on the boy's cheek and elbow. He was very lean and shorter than him which raised his concerns higher.

"Y-yes." the boy answered sheepishly. "So, who won the fight?" Li Liang asked. The boy flushed before muttering, "I did."

"Really? How?" Li Liang asked. "I don't know. I somehow managed." the boy answered. "That's great news! So next fight with me then?" Li Liang patted the boy's back. The boy smiled awkwardly.

"What's your name?" he asked. "Xiaoㅡ Xiao Hua." the boy answered, stuttering. "Xiao Hua..." Li Liang repeated.

"What are you training for?"

"To join the guards."

"How old are you?"

"Twenty."

"Twenty? You are the same age as me?"

The boy looked embarrassed. "Yes."

"You are too thin to be my age! Haven't you been eating enough?"

"Well, I have been eating less because my training durations are long. I usually don't have enough time."

"You should eat a lot! If you don't, you will fall sick!"

"Okayㅡ"

"Great! If you eat enough, I will make you join the army," Li Liang said, patting the boy's back.

Xiao Hua was about to say something when all of a sudden, a palace guard came into the scene and announced something. "The Emperor wishes to meet you," the guard bowed before Li Liang.

He sighed. He knew where this was heading.

"Alright. Tell His Majesty I am on my way," Li Liang got up and waved the guard away.

* * *

"Claim your report," the Emperor bellowed in a low voice.

"No sign of her, Your Majesty," Li Liang bowed.

"Zhang Li Liang... Are you not searching the nation correctly?" the Emperor asked coldly. "How come you haven't found a trace of the princess in the past four years?"

"I will search more correctly, Your Majesty," Li Liang bowed.

"Remember, Zhang Li Liang," the Emperor started in a clear, booming voice. "I made you a Commander just because you promised to bring the princess back. You may be from a noble family on your mother's side, but your father was just a bodyguard."

Li Liang shrugged. His father was the Head Bodyguard and as far as he knew, being a Head Bodyguard was a prominent position.

The Emperor continued, "You could have gotten that position too. Or you could have simply been killed. Just because of your promise, I gave you a high rank. Remember, your mother is still under my control. If you do not keep your promise, you know what happens next."