22

SOLEIL

The wet caress on my cheek forces my conscious mind awake. I slowly open my eyes and blink a few times to make sure I'm not in a dream.

"Good morning."

"Hi," I groggily respond.

Nope, I'm definitely awake.

Brice's dark hair is wet and swept back from his face. He's topless and barefoot in a pair of black sweatpants. I find myself staring at the ridges of his abs in a kind of daze. I wonder if he came from the shower or practice. My money is on the latter.

"Found it."

He taps on the black screen resting on the bedside table drawing my attention to the phone. Then he's gone.

I've been meaning to ask him how he does that. However, he tends to shows up unannounced, out of nowhere – literally, which catches me off guard.

After last night I don't think he hates me. He was initially upset. Considering our brief interaction a few seconds ago, he looks fine. He did give me my phone back.

I try switch it on but it's dead. So, I plug it in and give it a few minutes. When the screen lights up, I'm inundated with 3 days' worth of notifications. The missed calls are from Friday through Saturday which is when I suspect my battery died.

I scan the names and preview some texts without opening them. One name stands out – Mark – who seems more worried than upset. I remember that awkward conversation we had in the hallway outside Brice's bedroom and cringe.

Not knowing what to type, I take a deep breath and hit the phone icon.

It's a little past 6 AM. He should be awake. I don't think he'll mind, I muse to the dial tone.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mark! It's me Soleil."

"I know," he laughs.

He sounds like he just woke up. Damn. I miscalculated that.

"Sorry to wake you. I just got my phone back and didn't want to worry you. Consider this call proof of life."

He chuckles at my lame attempt to be funny, and I hear rustling in the background.

"It's fine as long as you're not hurt or anything. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you..." he trails off.

"Mark. Please. If there's anyone who needs absolution, it's me. I'm sorry for embarrassing you like that – "

"Already forgiven," he cuts me off.

"Thanks. And if you want to take someone else to MD I completely – "

"I said I couldn't picture ending this year with anyone else."

That brings a smile to my face.

"So, I expect to see you at the dance rehearsals which start on Friday," he continues. "Mr and Mrs Lydall are the appointed instructors. I expect it to be educational at best and entertaining at worst."

The Lydalls ran the music department and weren't as uptight as half the staff. I was cheesing so hard. Thankfully he couldn't see me.

"I'm excited either way!" I gushed.

"Alright cool. I have to get up and get ready so let's chat later."

"Of course! Sorry for waking you and good luck with English today."

"I'd rather a call from you than my alarm. All the best on the test. Cheers!"

"Bye."

I got up and did a little dance to let out some of the excitement. I had seen a few dresses that I liked but I didn't want to get attached. Now, it was a matter of deciding which one I would wear because I was all in.