Chapter 9

Violet

"I'm nervous." I admit. Alexa and Joel are in town, mama is making us have dinner together later today. I haven't told them I'm pregnant yet.

It's barely about to be April and I haven't spoken to my siblings since new years. "It'll be ok." Oak says, trying to cheer me up. "I'm sure they'll be ecstatic. Shall I make you a special donut to cheer you up?"

I immediately grin. Oaks specialty is special donuts. "Hey vi?" He mutters.

"Yea?" I peer up at him as I lean over the counter. "How long should it take for someone to ask you out?"

"Are you thinking of asking Sebastian out?" I perk up excitedly. "Well I..." he scratches the back of his head, blushing. "I wanted him to but he's taking so long so I might ask him." He rushes out, watching me for a reaction.

"How long have you two been talking?" I grin as he passes me my special donut.

"Around four-ish months." He shrugs sitting next to me.

"Four!?" I screech. "You barely only told us about a month ago."

"I know, I know. But at the time you had just barely broken up with that asshole and I didn't want it to feel like I was rubbing it in your face."

"Oak." I sigh. "You know I wouldn't have thought that."

"You weren't in the best headspace. After everything he did to you, Brie and I didn't want anything to overwhelm you. Then you found out you were pregnant and it just wasn't the right time." He's right, after Todd I was depressed. It wasn't till I found out I was pregnant I started to will myself out of bed. When a pregnant woman grieves the babies in the uterus also grieve so I tried limiting the feeling.

My relationship with Todd was never the best. Maybe the first month was ok, but after that nothing good ever happened. Brie and Oak had tried convincing me time and time again to leave him. Todd never allowed that to happen.

"Violet? You alright?" Oak's worried time snaps me from my thoughts.

I take a deep breath, sitting up straight. "You should go for it, Oak."

"You think?" He says blowing out a deep breath.

I nod, happily munching on my donut. I slide off the barstool, tightening my apron before heading back to the register.

I switch with Brie letting her go to the back. "Violet!" Grey comes running up to the register.

"Hi, Grey!" I grin peering down at the small boy.

"I brought five dollars." He says showing me the crisp bill.

"Where'd you get it?" I question. Behind him appears his sister, Julie. "Grey! I told you no. You need that for school."

"Jules please!" He pleads. She shakes her head taking the money away. "We need to save it."

"What did you two want? I can get it for you." Grey's grin returns, "a donut."

I pull out their favorite donuts handing it to them. "I can pay you back next week." Julie mumbles.

"Don't worry about it sweetie, you know we love to help when we can." She smiles gratefully. "Are you guys thirsty?" Grey nods really fast making me chuckle. "Go pick something out of the refrigerator." I say shooing them away.

"Vivi!" Another scream of my name has me grinning. Niko runs to the front of the bakery clinging to my legs. Alessandro, Mateo, and Jenna walk behind him.