Chapter Twenty-One: One Unforgettable Night

“Where are you going?” Nick asked as I slid into my car.

“I’m going after him,” I replied. “I can’t leave things like this. You can either come or stay here.”

Nick bit his lip as he moved into the car. I smiled to myself as I revved the engine. I slid my seatbelt on as I headed for Noah’s house. I knew the coach would be dropping him off there – so I decided I would wait for him. Seeing Noah made me realize how stupid it was to break up with him. I shouldn’t have been mad about him cheating. He is young. He makes mistakes. I loved him too much to let a little mistake like that end our relationship.

Nick didn’t say a word for the entire car ride. He just sat there in silence, biting his lip. He only spoke when we made it to Noah’s place.

“I hope you guys work this out,” Nick said as I stepped out of my car. I moved down the yard and to the front door. I sighed before I knocked on it. I wasn’t in the mood to break in again. I was going to be an adult for once. I waited as the door swung open.

“Jayson,” Noah’s father said raising an eyebrow at me. “What are you doing here?”

“Is Noah home?” I asked curiously. “I have to tell him something. It’ll only take five minutes I swear.”

“Five minutes,” he said letting me in. I moved upstairs into Noah’s room and knocked on the door. I could hear Noah suck his teeth as he moved to the door. I shoved my hands in my pocket as it swung open.

“Hi – can we talk?” I said awkwardly.

“How did you get in here?” he asked angrily.

“Your father let me in,” I said walking into his bedroom. Noah closed the door behind him as he ushered me to sit.

“Talk,” Noah shrugged. “I’m listening.”

“Noah I love you,” I said. “I love you more than anyone I have ever dated actually. Us breaking up was stupid – I don’t want to be with anyone but you.”

“I cheated though,” Noah said shaking his head. “I slept with Liam. I was completely sober and I knew exactly what I was doing too.”

“I’m willing to forgive you Noah,” I replied.

“Jayson I,” Noah began his words jumbling up. I reached out to touch him but he jerked away from me. I was confused. Had I done something? Noah moved into the corner as I sat back down on the bed.

“Noah – What’s going on? Why are you acting like this?” I asked.

“Because Jayson I don’t want to get back together,” Noah said. “It’s easier if we just keep things as they are. You’ll have time to get over me, when I go off to college.”

“Noah I told you I wasn’t going to let college separate us,” I stated. “I told you we would figure it out.”

“What if we don’t figure it out?” Noah said. “What then?”

“We will,” I nodded. “I promise.”

“Jayson,” Noah said running his fingers through his hair. “God, I hate you. You make everything so difficult. Why couldn’t you just have given up on me?”

“Because I love you,” I said again, a smile creeping on my face. “I mean - why did you expect me to give up so easily?”

“I lied Jayson,” Noah admitted. “Liam and I didn’t sleep together. I only said that because I wanted you to break up with me. I was scared about college and I just didn’t think we would last. I thought it would be easier if we just quit now.”