Mission Continued

The fear in Vulgrim's eyes was palpable as he struggled to breathe, his clawed hands desperately trying to pry my fingers from his throat. I could sense the terror emanating from the captives, unsure if I was their savior or another monster. 

I decided to make a statement, one that would leave no doubt in their minds about who I was and what I stood for. With a swift and deliberate motion, I threw Vulgrim across the room, his body smashing against the concrete wall with a sickening crunch. He slid down, leaving a smear of blood in his wake, before collapsing in a heap on the floor. I approached him slowly, my boots crunching on the shattered glass and debris that littered the ground. 

 "You've made a terrible mistake," I whispered, my voice barely audible above the sound of his shallow, labored breaths. "No more experiments, no more pain. This ends now."Vulgrim tried to crawl away, but I grabbed his leg, dragging him back towards the center of the room. The captives watched in silence, their eyes wide with a mix of fear and hope. 

I drew my sword once more, the cold steel gleaming under the harsh fluorescent lights."Your reign of terror ends here," I said, my voice cold and emotionless. With a swift, decisive motion, I brought the blade down on Vulgrim's neck, severing his head from his body. The room was silent for a moment, the only sound the dripping of his black, viscous blood onto the floor. Then, the captives erupted into cheers and sobs of relief. 

I turned to face them, my suit's systems working overtime to repair the damage and keep me standing. "You're free now," I told them. "Get out of here, and find safety. "As the captives began to escape, I made my way back to the surface, leaving the grisly scene behind me. The night air was cold and bitter, but it felt like a breath of fresh air after the horrors I had witnessed. 

As I climbed back to my vantage point, I couldn't help but think of the countless lives that had been lost in this terrible war. But tonight, I had made a difference. I had saved lives and ended the torment of countless souls.  I disappeared into the shadows once more.