Mission

Mission

     Moonlight shines down through the dark reddish sky, smoke and fires raged across the city. The stench of decaying and burnt bodies would be overwhelming, but my suits filter system protects me.  My night vision has been enhanced so much I can longer tell the difference; I lie in the shadows of a rooftop and wait, several Demons occupy the streets below. Much of the city had been destroyed, either by military units or by the Demons themselves. War, though brief left much of the world in ruin. Two weeks earlier I had sat motionless in this same spot learning and watching for opportunities which had revealed themselves to me. Tonight was the night that my target was going to die.

      I cautiously peer down; from my vantage point I could see my intended mark. I slipped over the rooftops edge, quietly grabbing the rope that I had secured earlier and lower myself down to the ground. Using a low crawl, I make my way to an over-turned burnt out car. I hear one of the guards approaching, quickly removing two of my knives from my belt; I embed them in the demons neck, silencing him forever.  I drag his corpse over to the car, stuffing it inside and out of sight. I remove four shuriken from inside my shinobi shozoko, each had been soaked in holy water. I watch as the other Demons stroll down the street laughing and joking, “I wonder which pathetic human Vulgrim will experiment on tonight,” one of them says. I sprint towards the entrance to the make shift laboratory. The hidden guard spots me as I am half way across the street, too late the shuriken has already entered her eye socket and penetrated her brain and she drops to the ground, motionless.  I continue to sprint through the entrance; before the guard can react I bury shurikens in each of the guard’s thighs. They try to grab their legs as I can hear the sizzling of their legs burning from the holy water; I rapidly remove their heads with my sword before they can scream. I flick the blood off of my sword and place it back in its sheath. Warning from my suits system, I can feel the blood flowing down my side, warning a breach has occurred. Foam generates from where the suit was sliced open and covers my wound, this stops the bleeding. Nano technologies start repairing the suit and inject me with antibiotics and pain suppressants.

     I stepped down the steps into the basement of the building, bright lights hit me immediately. There are tortured men and women screaming and pleading inside the laboratory.  I make my way to the open doors of the laboratory and shut them.  Vulgrim and his assistant are dragging a naked woman by her hair across the floor; she has cuts, scrapes, and bruises all over body.  Vulgrim throws her into a wash and disinfectant chamber; these people have seen this many times and have been thrown in there themselves.  Everyone is naked and clean, waiting for their turn to be experimented on, I am repulsed and angry. I can see a room to my left where there are dead bodies with tubes and other stuff sticking out of them. There is yet another room right behind where Vulgrim assistant is standing that looks like a large jail cell. Men, women, and children are there huddled together trying to hide themselves from the madness. I remove Vulgrim smile off his face when I snap the neck of his assistant. She might have been his wife or lover for all I knew, but rage and anger had taken control over me. Before I even knew it I had grabbed Vulgrim by the throat and lifted him off of the ground with one hand. Silence, there was no more screaming or pleading from the men and women, they all stood there quietly watching me.