Chapter 11

It was the break of dawn of a random morn when the one-eyed Prince finally entered to the training yard. While all knights were thrilled by the Prince's return, no one was more thrilled than Ser Criston Cole himself.

For him it came as a relief — as the Prince's return is a clear indication that he was doing much better. It was close to turning of two moons since he last stepped foot here. The longest break he had since his eye was taken.

"Welcome back my Prince." Cole greeted warmly but the response he received in return was a simple hum as Aemond headed straight for the armoury and returned with a sword.

"Are we doing older brother against younger brother...?" Criston Cole made it sound like he was asking but it was actually more of a suggestion he provided looking between Aemond and Daeron.

All eyes turned to the youngest Prince, who stood with a wooden sword. Some even gave him a judgmental look.

Aemond had a scowl appear on his face. He took offence. How could Cole even suggest he spar against his brother who is yet to hold a proper sword. Turning away from his brother he faced the twins Ser Arryk and Erryk Cargyll and declared his intentions.

"I have a better idea."

oOo

Aemma has been on this terrace plentiful times but never before with her mother and sister, nor particularly this early into the morning either.

As the sparring continued between the one eyed Prince and the Cargyll twins, from the terrace above his mother and sisters watched. Everyone left speechless, as no one had expected Aemond to fight this exceptionally well against two experienced knights considering his long absence and limited vision. He proved them all wrong! As he incessantly delivered blow after blow. His blond hair flowing around him as he swung his sword at the twins and strike at them one after another. And it left the three ladies watching him from the terrace above enticed as much.

Daeron, who had been left sidelined from the moment his older brother stepped foot into the training yard, decided to join his mother and sisters after dropping his wooden practice sword. Although it initially hurt to be left forgotten like that, but Daeron understood, he understood well where all the excitement was coming from. After all it was Aemond's long due return. That besides the point, he would rather be close to Aemma than be amongst the men training who stank of sweat and soil.

Watching the Prince approach, Talya was about to fetch a chair for him, but Daeron prevented. Instead he chose to share the seat with Aemma. She was too small on that large cushioned seat, so he was easily able to squeeze in.

When together, Aemma and Daeron could barely behave like civilized children. Today it started with him tickling her, and her retaliation by pulling his hair. Occasionally he would leave soft kiss on her cheek and she in turn would kiss his nose, sometimes give it a small nip even. Soon those tender moments transformed to poking her on the tummy to her nudging him on the ribs.

Even if their older sister was very much enjoying watching them play, their mother on the other hand was a whole other matter.

From time to time Alicent would look at them only to glare daggers. The two obviously put a pause to their game at their mother's wordless warning. But would resume once more soon as she'd turn away.

Aemond, like attracted to something he couldn't see, had raised his gaze up toward the terrace. Only to have the sight of Daeron and Aemma's innocently intimate moment freeze him on the spot. A muscle in his jaw jumped as his entire posture tensed like the most unyielding tree trunk. The scene disturbed him on levels he never experienced. That brief moment of distraction from Aemond's side was well utilized by Ser Erryk. The former barely managed to block the latter's blow at the last moment which sent him to the ground with a grunt.