Chapter Seven

Flashback

Flashback

Every bone in my body felt as if it were porcelain—extremely fragile and brittle. My bones crunched and cracked over and over as I screamed in agony.

"She's burning up!" Aurora felt my forehead as she and Jackson carried me out of the cabin into the open field.

"What's happening to me?" I sobbed in between my screams.

"It's a full moon!" Aurora gulped, peering up at the starry sky. Sure enough the bright full moon shone through the trees. "You're shifting."

I felt my eyes dilate as I stared at the blue beams. Suddenly my bones began snapping and cracking in various spots. It felt as if my own body was rejecting itself—every bone breaking repeatedly until it became it's true form. The pain was excruciating!

"Make it stop!" I groaned, rolling onto my side in the fetal position. "Please!"

"There's nothing we can do." Jackson smiled sadly as he placed a cold wet cloth on my forehead.

In between the waves of pain I managed to ask, "How long will this last?"

"Until midnight." Aurora answered, her smile faltering.

"What time is it now?" I shivered despite burning up—my teeth chattered.

"It's almost ten." Jackson sighed. "Hang in there, Venus."

The short few seconds of relief I had were ripped away and replaced by more unbearable pain. My cries and screams echoed throughout the forest. Thank Hecate we were far away from civilization!

"You have to leave me!" I groaned through my gritted teeth.

"I won't leave you!" Aurora refused, shaking her head profusely.

"You have to!" I hissed through the pain. "You need to protect your family!"

"You are family, Venus!" Aurora sobbed.

"Go Aurora! Before I... Shift." I screamed as my leg snapped. The crunching of bones grew normal at this point. The pain itself felt bearable as my body became numb.

"Go inside!" Aurora ordered her husband. "Make sure the kids don't see this."

"Be careful!" Jackson pecked his wife on the lips quickly before running to the cabin.

My vision grew blurry as I stared down at my hands that dug into the earth. Lifting them up I realized my nails were elongated and sharp. Tears streamed down my face as my body began shaking in fear. What kind of monster was I becoming?

"Everything will be alright, Venus. I promise I won't allow anything to happen to you!" Aurora soothed me.

"I know." I sobbed, finally gaining some of my vision back. It was enough that I could distinguish her cobalt blue eyes. "But I can't promise you the same."