𝟮𝟰

AIMEE

The cars were honking. I was speeding through the traffic, my mind was on one person.

My grandpa.

I aggressively wiped my tears and pressed on the pedal. It was 12:47pm and the road was filled with cars.

"Please be okay." I repeated over and over again.

When mom called, I didn't waste any second and got into my car and left. All of this in one day was creating a whole mess in my mind.

Everything that could go wrong was weighing on my shoulder. What if something happens with grandpa? How would I live without him?

After what felt like forever, I reached the hospital. There were people going in and out of the entrance. Children were crying, people were shouting.

Headache was starting to form, but I didn't have time to think about it. I pushed through the doors and went to the information desk.

"In what room is Henrik Managold, I'm his granddaughter. Please I need to see him." The lady looked at me and then averted her eyes on the computer.

She tapped her long nails on the keyboard and looked for about a minute and finally told me where he was.

"Room three, section seven. It's on the fourth floor." Not waiting any more second, I went to the elevator and pressed the number four.

"Hurry up." I pressed on the button again.

The doors opened and I ran through the hall. I spotted my mom and dad in front of one of the rooms.

"Mom." My legs barely carried me to them. "Aimee, I called you but you didn't pick up." She opened her arms and hugged me. I finally let myself cry again.

I patted my pocket but my phone was not there. I must have forgotten it at home.

"How is he?"

"He's okay now. The doctor's inside." She caressed my cheeks and wiped the tears that fell down my face.

"What happened?" My lips trembled.

"He saw the tabloids about you. You know how much he cares about you and your reputation. And on top of that his health condition." Her teary eyes bored into mine.

"It's not like that mom. What they wrote... it's not true. I'll tell you everything later, okay?" She nodded and I went to hug dad.

"He'll be okay, don't worry honey. You know dad won't give up like that." A sad laugh broke through my mouth.

"Yes, I know." He would never leave me. Not without saying goodbye.

"Where's grandma?" I turned to my mom. "She's inside. They let her be with him, because she wouldn't let go of his hand. She wanted to be there with him."

We waited for the doctor to come out. My heart was going to jump out of my chest. Even though it was not cold, my body started to shiver.

I tightened the jacket around me and leaned back on the plastic chair.

Leo was supposed to come to my apartment. I rubbed my face in frustration.

The door opened and I quickly got up. It was the doctor, he was an elderly man with grey hair and round glasses on.

"He's fine now, but you should be more careful. Don't put stress on him and watch out on what he eats. I already told his wife but it's good for you too know as well." With that he left.

Mom told me that grandpa was close to having a heart attack. They were quick to take him to the hospital, if they weren't things could have been worse.