Ch 38 Beau's Return

Though his mind was in turmoil Beau's feet carried him through the tribe, past the hoards of staring beastmen and through the crowd of single males that surrounded Dylan's healer hut though at a distance for fear of the two terra marked males that lurked inside.

The males watched with varying emotions as he bounded through the tribe on three legs, dragging his crippled right leg behind him, it was bent at an odd angle and slightly twisted. They all shared the same thought that even if it didn't have to be removed the leg would never heal properly, meaning this male was now considered a useless cripple and would likely be rejected by the female. Some males felt sorry for him others thought this could give them a chance since the female would likely need to replace him... (If they only knew who they were dealing with.)

Beau stood outside the hut for several long moments breathing deeply trying to catch his breath and gather his nerve, when suddenly the curtain of the hut pulled back to reveal a female he wasn't intending or expecting to see.

"My cub, you've returned." Jamina exclaimed in a quiet yet excited voice as she exited the hut, closely followed by her mates. "I can't believe you found such a sweet, kind little female. You should be ashamed you kept her waiting so long, she was worried and ask..." Jamina was rambling on until Beau backed away from her and she noticed his limp and a deep frown pulled at her lips. "Your injured. Is it bad?" She asked and looked at Dylan who immediately approached Beau and began touching his broken leg, which in turn made him whimper and snarl in pain.

"There's nothing I can do." Dylan said as he turned away with a simple shake of his head.

"Oh, my poor cub..." Jamina cooed with sadness reflected in her eyes. "She seems like a nice female so maybe she'll keep you by her side as a beast pet. You are a healer after all." She said trying to be reassuring, knowing the fate of a crippled beastman, before her males scooped her up and carried her away.

In the back of his mind Beau had held out hope that Dylan would be able to heal him, but having confirmation that wasn't possible broke his heart and zapped his courage to face her, because why would Liz want him when she's so wonderful she could surely find a better, stronger, whole male with talent as a healer. Beau almost walked away feeling defeated but couldn't actually bring himself to take a single step away from the hut, away from Liz. And he decided his fate no longer mattered, no matter how much her rejecting him would hurt, he would do anything, be anything for her. Beau walked into the hut with a new found resolve, to find Liz sleeping peacefully cuddled in Jin's arms, with a terra marked feral sitting beside him.

Jin glared at Beau hostily, his beast pressure began seeping out again, despite what Liz had said Jin still blamed Beau for Liz being taken, especially since he couldn't get his hands on the actual culprit yet. With his dark thoughts Jin's arms instinctively tightened around Liz, until she whimpered and began to stir.

Her face scrunched into a sour bun and she squirmed fitfully as her whole body began to tense up and jerk erratically. Beau watched in frozen shock as Jin allowed the feral male to put his hands on Liz, but even more surprising than that was that Liz seemed to slowly calm down and instinctively lean into his touch, before she finally awoke. It took a while before she groggally looked around the semi-dark hut and gasped seeing the huge familiar fox practically blocking the entrance.

"B... Beau? Is... Is that you? Y... You're here." She stuttered as her eyes sparkled with unshed tears and a hopeful smile lifted the corners of her lips. "Wh... Where have you been? I was so worried." She asked reaching out her hand beckoning him to come to her,  he stared into her eyes for a long moment feeling a warmth spread in his heart, but as he moved Liz frowned noticing him limp and drag his back leg. "Ar... Are you hurt? What happened? Why haven't you shifted back? Is it that bad? It's too dark in here, open the curtains and let me see." She exclaimed in a one-sided flurry as she tried to get up, but both Jin and Tairen didn't release their holds on her.