On Ending

Harsh slaps of my sandals echoed throughout the polished stone hallway of the palace. I remember every time I have made this exact journey, the long hallways and the inevitable disregard for my words.

I was the daughter of the great leaders of Troy, Priam and Hecuba. When I was born I was blessed with beauty that competed with that of the graceful meadows and adored by the God Apollo and the prophecies of the sun.

But in a family where you were only one of the fifty sons and fifty daughters, I became a bronze coin tossed into the depths of a wishing well; nothing other than a forgotten token of the great city of Troy.

The heavy doors parted and I rushed to the far end of the throne room. I knelt on the cold floor, my head resting in my outstretched arms.

"Lift your head for me, my child," Priam said.

My eyes lifted to gaze at the large, flamboyant gold throne upon which my father sat in a comfortable silence. Beside him stood my older brother and most beloved by the Gods, Paris. His muscles were all tensed, and his sharp brows turned downwards towards his pursed lips. His eyes glowed, betraying his frustration.

Something was very wrong and I couldn't help but feel as though it had something to do with me.

"Father," I said, my voice quivering as I felt a blistering heat rise within my throat, "I have come to warn you."

His face twisted from one of content listening to burning irritation.

"Cassandra," my father said scowling but before he could continue to reprimand me, I cut him off.

"No, Father. Please! You must make haste." I felt a warm bubbling sensation rise within my torso. "The Mycenaeans, they are coming and they mean to deceive you. If we don't act now, Troy will fall. History will know nothing of your great leadership for here will stand nothing other than smouldering ashes–"

"Enough!" Priam slammed his hands down on the edges of his throne. The room shook. His eyes darkened, swimming with utter poison. One blink to break his angered stare and the venom would flood from his glare and craft nothing but a painful end to my life.

Paris cleared his throat, loud in the now silent hall.

"Are you so low that you must lie about something so severe to get attention?" His gaze was harsh, scrutinising every part of my body.

I recoiled further to the ground trying to hide from the ashamed glares that were cast at me.

"Your brother is right." Priam's voice was harsh and loud like an evening storm far at sea.

"It will do you no good running around like a little girl claiming such awful ends of our bountiful city. I am ashamed to have you as my daughter. It will be a relief to have you married off."

The light outside the grand windows began to dim, leaving the throne in a dark silhouette of pure darkness. Priam's thick breaths acted as a warning against my words.

"But if you will just–"

"No! I have had it with you. I am your father and you girl are a pathetic liar," Priam growled, his chin now heightened as though to remind me that he was the kingdom's mighty leader, the god-like king whose city had withstood the wrath of many armies and gods.

"Leave to your temple before I decide to be less gracious." The king turned his head away from me and towards Paris who was still glaring in my direction.

Over 10 years ago, I had been the one to warn our father of his act to steal a Mycenaean's wife resulting in this war. Of course, with my gift came a curse. When I had refused Apollo's advances in his temple, he bound my life and my words to those of unbelievable truth and sorrowful ends.