[41]

Today has been so uncomfortable that I physically can't compare it to a situation or predicament I have ever been in before.

It was noticed by everyone at school the second we were all in the same place collecting books from our lockers, that something was wrong.

I couldn't help but have my head buried inside my locker for the duration Clay and Faye were collecting their books, trying my hardest to blatantly ignore their weird and confused stares all the while trying to overhear their whispering and find out what they were saying to each other.

Even with Mackenzie holding my hand and offering hushed words of encouragement between kisses, it didn't help. I was grateful that she was there, don't get me wrong, but it didn't stop the whispering in classes and the pointed stares my way.

I'm grateful when the lunchtime bell chimes, and with having a free period straight after, I can sneak away for a little longer than an hour.

I grab Mackenzie's hand and effectively drag her to her car, ignoring the strange looks cast my way by the rest of the school. I'm trying to let her typical smell of coconut and vanilla distract me, but for once it's unsuccessful.

She looks beautiful as per usual, her hair now falling past her shoulders in golden waves as she's let it grow out, and her makeup is natural but gorgeous. It still marvels me that this Aphrodite of a woman is my girlfriend, and that she took an interest in me over everyone else.

The cold weather means I don't get to see her in skirts or dresses anymore, but she still looks amazing in a pair of black, high waisted corduroy trousers that accentuate the amazing figure I know she has underneath. She's wearing a cropped, green woollen sweater that smells like her but scratches my skin when I touch it. She always looks amazing, but when she dresses like she hasn't put any thought into it, she makes my heart race faster than any other.

I think it's the effortless beauty that really gets me going.

"You wanna tell me where you're dragging me?" Mackenzie chuckles questioningly as I finally let her hand go. I sigh and press a kiss against her lips, enjoying the way her lips taste like cherry lip gloss, the pressure of hers against mine feeling perfect. I shiver as a particularly cold gust of wind blows across the parking lot, the chill freezing the tips of my ears, though I warm when I feel Mackenzie press her hand into the small of my back, pulling me closer into her.

"Your car so you can take me to Benny's and we can spend some quality time together." I smile over sweetly, dropping the act when she sends a pointed stare my way that clearly states she isn't buying my bull.

"Okay, now the truth." Mack chuckles, pressing another kiss into my hairline as she pulls me into her chest. I sigh heavily as my eyes flutter closed, enjoying the feeling of her lips on my forehead and her scent of vanilla and coconut. "What's going on, Alex?"

I blow out a huff and pull away from her hold, running my hand through my hair. "I just don't want to be here for an hour. I can't stand everyone looking at me like they want to ask what's going on. I sure as hell don't want to be cornered by the two of them."

Mackenzie nods as she opens her car door for me, a soft look on her face. "Sure. I'll hide you for a couple of hours but you're going to have to deal with this soon, Alex."

"No I don't." I mutter as I sit in the passenger seat. "I can ignore their very existence for the next four months and then I'll run off to college and never see or hear from them again."

Mackenzie laughs and takes my hand in hers as we leave school and head towards the diner. I enjoy the feeling of her thumb brushing against my knuckles. The tension in my muscles slowly ebbs from my body with every metre we distance ourselves from the school, until I'm blasting music from her radio and singing the words at the top of my lungs.