Chapter 25 - Awkward

"Jess! Hey, wait up," I called ahead to my friend when I saw her pin-straight blond hair wave in the crowd.

Jess spun around, her eyes fixing on me as a warm and kind smile lit up her face. "What's up?"

I hadn't thought too much about my brother's request since yesterday when they asked me to ask Jess if I could sleep over at her house. I was just super busy with homework and studying for a few upcoming tests and it wasn't out of the ordinary, really.

My brother and his best friend were extremely secretive. Most of the time they didn't tell me anything. And if they did usually I would get the bare minimum response and I wouldn't really get any reasoning, just the facts.

So I didn't deem it weird that they wanted me to stay over at one of my friends' houses and that they were going to some "mystery" place on super short notice.

What I did find weird though was that they wanted me to sleepover at Jess's.

Ace didn't let me have a sleepover at one of my friends' houses until I turned twelve! And even though, now, he lets me do them with my close friends whenever I want. He doesn't exactly like the idea of me being away. I can always tell that Ace is always present right before I leave and usually right after I come home. He always seems on edge during those times as well.

So it is pretty weird he's practically forcing me to stay over at Jess's house. Nonetheless on this short notice! Today was Tuesday and my brothers said they were going away Wednesday.

One day isn't a lot of time to get a plan together guys!

And because of this time constraint I told them I would ask Jess (or one of my other friends) today at school and get back to them when I get home.

I did feel bad putting all of this on Jess because it was a little awkward to invite myself over to her house in such a short time. But most of the time Jess was always good with us coming over and her parents were really nice so I wasn't that worried about her saying no and having to ask one of my other friends or tell Caleb and Ace we need another plan.

It was stupid if you ask me why I can't just stay at home alone for one freaking night! It wasn't as though I wasn't responsible and the house has a huge gate in front of it so who's gonna come in? Plus, I know that my brother would most definitely — and could — hire security or something like that for this one night to "protect" me — even though I didn't need it.

But in the moment and even now I don't feel like arguing and just making everyone mad, so I'm just gonna ask Jess.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Um, sure. Here, come here," She told me, grabbing my elbow to pull me into her locker so we were out of incoming traffic.

My friend had to leave early today for a doctor's appointment — which I only found out about a couple minutes ago! — so that means that she's missing lunch. Lunch was where I had originally planned to ask Jess about a potential sleepover but now that she is leaving, right now is the last break I can see her because we don't have the next class together. This also meant that the hallways were super crowded at the moment.

"So, my brother and Caleb are going away tomorrow," I started. "And I only just found out about this! But I was wondering if we could have a sleepover so I could stay at your house? I know it's short notice and all and I'm really sorry. But they just won't let me stay home alone so I have to..."

"Don't worry, Jo!" Jess cut me off, her voice happy. "I'd love to have a sleepover! It actually works out perfectly cuz I got some new nail polish things that I was waiting to do with you or Aubrey but now we can do them!" She gushed.