Chapter 44 - Mystery Man

"No! Stop. Don't say it. I'm fucking serious too," Caleb immediately declared, raising his hands to stop Ace from telling the story of whatever him and Caleb — or more specifically Caleb did — on their last day in Massachusetts.

Dinner with my two brothers has been one of the most fun times I've had in a long time. We're just sitting here, laughing and telling stories. Caleb is obviously the center of attention, cracking all of the jokes. I just egg Caleb on because I think he's funny, and Ace will add in his points from time to time — usually things against Cal or to make fun of him. 

Someones got to take him down a few pegs every once in a while to keep things balanced. 

"No! No! Please. I wanna hear it!" I complained, looking at my brother in anticipation. C'mon Ace, spill!

Ace smiled, chuckling slightly before raising his glass to his best friend and taking a sip of his beer. Silently telling us that it's Caleb's story to share.

"Ugh! I really want to know. What did Caleb do?" I immediately complained, falling back in my seat because I no longer needed to suck up to my big brother in order for him to share the information he so rudely was keeping from me.

"Yes!" Caleb exclaimed, reaching forward to high five his friend, but Ace just ignored it. "Alright ... so not doing that." Caleb looked at his hand that was 'left hanging' exaggeratedly before putting it back in his lap — causing me to burst out laughing again.

"Can I have another story about you in high school then?" I posed.

"Sure! Humm... which one should it be, Ace?" Caleb thought. "How about our first freshman party..."

Ace choked on his beer, sitting up in his seat. "No." He cleared his throat. "Ehem, absolutely not."

Cal smirked. "Alright, fine. How about when we got our drivers licenses?"

My brother shrugged as his way of saying, that's fine.

Caleb's eyes lit up. "Great! So anyways" — he turned towards me — "Ace and I were sixteen, obviously, and we were going..."

My brother's best friend was so animated at the beginning of his story, but suddenly, as if a light switch flipped within him, he immediately stopped. His entire body went rigid, his expression stoic.

"What—" I started to ask, confused at what had just happened, but immediately stopped when I felt my brother's hand clamp down on my leg, telling me to shut up, and a mystery man slid into the seat next to Caleb.

Ace wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into him so I was hidden within his large frame while at the same time pushing me to the other edge of the booth so I was also trapped next to the wall. Hidden. I tried to turn to my brother and ask him what he was doing, but decided against it when I saw his expression.

Across the table, Caleb was extremely rigid, focusing on the man sitting next to him. But the mystery guy did not have a care in the world for Caleb. The mystery man was looking at me.

What's going on?

Who is this guy?

"Hello. I didn't think I'd see the infamous Ace Chambers here. Seems a little ... below you. Humm, Ace?" The mystery guy's focus turned to my brother, his thick Russian accent making it a little hard to make out what he was saying.

I turned my head to my brother, instantly, wondering how he knew this man and what his response was going to be. But I didn't have the guts to ask anything out loud. From my own shyness and the hand my brother kept on my leg to keep my silent.