𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟕

I woke up in a sweat, struggling for air as I strained and gasped for it

I woke up in a sweat, struggling for air as I strained and gasped for it. I'm not entirely sure what caused it, though I never have.

I've experienced severe panic attack episodes in my sleep ever since I was younger. At the age of seven, a psychiatrist that my parents made me visit had diagnosed me with 'nocturnal panic attacks' and according to the doctor, my condition was a result of my abandonment issues, which stemmed from being left alone so frequently as a child.

My father had denied it all. He insisted that my panic attacks were just nightmares and were nothing more than a figment of my imagination. Nothing had been done to solve it, so at eighteen, I still find myself waking up gasping for air.

Luka was the only one there to help me calm down and the only way I'd get a decent night's sleep was if he was next to me, But he hasn't been around lately, and it's entirely my fault. Though, we do have plans to see each other today, so hopefully I'll be able to make it up to him.

It's currently around half past eleven, and I've been lying in this position on my bed ever since I woke up.

I haven't stopped staring and playing with this ring since Ryder put it on my finger. It makes everything seem so real now, like there's no getting out of it anymore. Though, I'm almost certain that the chance to get out of it ended a long time ago. My father seems to be obsessed with Ryder; so obsessed that I'm close to suggesting my father marry him instead.

Eventually, I slide out of bed and make my way downstairs. The house is cold and empty, the only sound being my bare feet sliding against the cold marble floor.

Something seemed so off today, more than usual anyways. I'm not sure what it is but the minute I shot my eyes open in a panic, it was like something in the air had changed and something was bound to happen.

Assuming nobody was home, I stroll into the kitchen and towards the coffee before beginning to pour myself some into a mug.

But my assumptions were quickly proven wrong when I suddenly hear heavy footsteps approaching the kitchen and my father's voice entering. "Vivienne, there have been changes regarding the wedding."

I spin around on my heel, suddenly filled with both hope and excitement. I stare at my father, waiting for him to tell me that the deal has been called off and that he has finally come to his senses and no longer wishes for me to get married.

The excitement was short-lived, how am I surprised?

"The wedding has been moved up; you'll marry Ryder Forbes next week, upon you moving in shortly after." And then he's gone and my heart sinks. Left alone with my thoughts and emotions, trying to make sense of it all. As I stood there, my eyes fixated on the vast, hollow doorframe, a wave of dizziness washed over me, leaving me feeling slightly nauseated.

My feet suddenly lurch forwards impulsively, and I'm heading towards my father, who is already halfway up the staircase. I stared up at him, my eyes narrowing in disbelief. "Are you really that selfish?" I question. I can feel a sudden burning lump forming in my throat, and I try so hard to keep my tears from spilling.