Chapter 1

AMARA

"Out!"Himbrey shouts as the ball smashes
itself across the arena. "Again"

God, I swear if this next one finishes on the other side of the line , I will kill someone. Literally. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep from yesterday or just the fact that I'm a total pile of stress since Monday that makes me fuck up every single one my serves. At the start of  training, I was absolutely nailing my hits, but of course, Coach Himbrey had to stuff her little nose and crash into the middle of training, to criticise all the little bits that we weren't doing the exact perfect way. Were we giving every single piece of our strength? Sure. Was it however enough for Aubrey Himbrey? Absolutely fucking not. Nothing is never good enough for her. She's never smiling, she's always in a mood, and God forbid, she never congratulates us, even if we win one hell of a match. Rumour has it, is  that the only time she left a ray of emotion out was, when BHU's under16 made it to nationals three years ago, and it was barely a smile.

"Preston if that next serve even touches the line, you're running" Gosh, that doesn't put the pressure on me at all. I concentrate extra hard, not wanting to spend the rest of the hour running laps, throw the ball in the air, count my steps, and jump. I watch as the ball passes over the net, barely touching it, and falling with a great big smack on the floor. Well shit. Guess I'll be spending my time doing fucking laps.

Candace, Hannah and Monica are the only ones left in the changing rooms when I step out of the showers. "Gee, I thought you drowned out there" Mon chuckles turning to look at me. "Might as well do it now before Himbrey does it herself"she chuckles even harder."Yeah, well it would definitely ease up the pain but I intend on playing at regionals, and you would definitely loose if I'm not there too hold all your asses up", I tease, tilting up my head to see Han and Candace grinning at me. "She has been going quite hard on you this season I have to admit, but that doesn't justify her treating you like a piece of shit all the time". "Have you thought about telling Mikey about it?"Micheal Carter was our coach since last September. He started coaching after an accident that costed him his career. He was an amazing volleyball player. I've seen tapes. He was captain of his team and led them to victory in 1996. Double CEV champion is surely something to be extremely proud of, however he's extremely humble about it. That's what I like about him. He's calm, knows the game, and coaches us amazingly well. Coach Himbrey is a little harsher. She's assistant coach but does a great job imposing her authority. I don't even know how Mikey puts up with her crap attitude, because I couldn't possibly handle it. If it would have been me, I would have already smacked a ball in her Swedish little face. She was also a volleyball player, and also got injured, but much worse than Carter. She got in a car crash and merely survived. When she got out of hospital, she wasn't able to move her knee all the way. "You know Mikey"I respond back. "He sees the Himbrey as his mother, he wouldn't do anything". "You're probably right"
"Girls, this chitchat has been fun but I have things to do" Mon says in a rush manner. "Yeah, more like someone to do" Hannah snickers. "Eww, and it's not like that Han, it's deeper." "Oh I am sure it is", she says shooting us a wink. "And that will be my cue to leave. I'm off to see my amazingly hot basketball boyfriend before you three give me the ick", she storms out giving us the finger. I've know Monica Thornton since I started here at Brookhills University. I started mid year because I transferred, and we shared a room on campus. She was really sweet and made sure I felt comfortable with everyone. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have even considered about trying out for volleyball. Now I live with Candace and another girl from the team, Jade. Monica moved in when she started dating Timothy, star player of the basketball team. Then me and the girls decided that sharing a little apartment together could be fun, and it would be easier for practice and stuff. It was really great because we pretty much had the same timetables, and shared some of the same classes. I'm in my third year here at Brookhills, so I graduate next year. I'm in a sports study course, so I don't study in the afternoon, but I train till seven o'clock. It is pretty intense but I got used to it. Brookhills is an elitist university after all and getting accepted there was one heck of a challenge.I got a scholarship with great luck. It was my last game of my senior year of high school , and we were in the finals. It was the end point and it was very tight. Without me knowing it, the scout from Brookhills had attended our match and found my performance extremely good. Two days later I received my acceptance letter. It was the best day of my life.

"Girls I'm making noodles tonight!" Jade shouts from the kitchen running around, her hands holding on to dear life to the soja sauce. "Yummy, count me in" Timmy cries out from Mon's bedroom. Timothy is always hanging out at our apartment with his younger brother Matthew. Matthew is in his second year here and studies biology like me. He plays hockey with BHU's hockey team, the Brookhill Bears. I went to one of his matches once, to support Mon and Timmy, and god that sport is brutal. Matt ended up in hospital after getting beaten up by another hockey dude. After that, Mon was terrified and so was Timmy. "Me too, extra sauce for me too by the way". "Mara any for you? I made your favorite, thai sauté!" "Yeah but a little portion, I'm not that hungry, I've got that essay tomorrow, and the butterflies in my stomach seem to be having a rave." I respond "You know what, I'm going to take this delicious treat to my room to study, I'll see y'all tomorrow!" I receive several goodbyes and ciaos from everyone, and I walk across the corridor to open the door to my room

I wake up to the smell of ramen on my cheek. I check my phone on the side of my bed. Eight o'clock. I blink, thinking I've seen badly. Shit! Class starts at eight fifteen, and at this rate I can kiss my essay goodbye. I rapidly jump in the shower, wash off, pack my bags and put one the nearest thing I find lying on my chair. I rush out the apartment, grab a croissant from the counter and mumble something that was supposed to sound like a "Goodbye girls, I'm off. Love you", but I blurted out something like "Wouldki geol im aft". I run down the stairs of my apartment, walk quickly to my car and get in. I turn the ignition on, and drift out the parking spot. I look at the time, twelve past eight. Shit shit shit. I park in the first spot I find and rush out of my car. I'm lucky, I have class in building C, the closest to where my car is parked. I pick up the pace and arrive in front of my classroom. Crap the door is already closed. Gathering all my courage, I open the door. As I walk in, everyone stops what they were doing and stare at me, but not in a you're late way, but more like in a what the fuck way. I stop halfway and and spot Matt laughing with his friends, what is the fucking problem? I look down to my feet and oh well, I know what the problem is. Instead of the casual, comfy sweaters I wear to class normally, I'm wearing a tiny piece of red cloth that shows more than it should cover. As for pants, my comfy sweatpants have been replaced by tight jeans that I swear could rip open if I make one single brisk moment. I look up and catch a group of boys staring at me. I awkwardly walk to my place, and sit down, burying my embarrassment deep down. I look behind and catch people staring at me. The bell rings and my teacher, Mr. Strickland walks in, diverting all the attention that was on me.Well isn't that just the best way to start the day? I honesty think not