Chapter 10

ETHAN

"Ouch" I whisper under my breath, as I get smashed across the boards. We were losing 1-0 against Redwoods University. But it was only the second quarter. We were playing well even if we weren't winning, passing swiftly and taking shots at the goal. Jeremiah had narrowly missed the puck that had passed between his legs. I have to admit, it was a magnificent point, even if it wasn't ours. There was about two minutes before the end of the second quarter, and we had possession. I passed the puck over to TJ that directly passed it in front too Vinnie. He dribbles perfectly, passing his defender with ease. I accelerate, skating faster on the ice to catch up with him. He sees me and passes the puck over to me. I grip my stick very tightly and shoot with conviction at the goal, concentrating hard. I watches as the puck  crashed into the back of the net, surrounding me by a wave of noise. 1-1.  My teammates skated rapidly towards, hugging me hard, slapping their stick on my back. I looked happily to coaches direction, and saw him cheering delightedly for me. A few seconds later, referee blew for half-time. We used the fifteen minute break to review our strategies and game, and then went back on the ice. Third quarter went by at a rapid speed. We entered fourth quarter, with pressure on our shoulders, by the fact that we were tied. Redwoods had possession and started making their way to our side. They skated swiftly between our players and the puck was only a few meters from the goal that Jeremiah was guarding fiercely. The player-I think his name was Markus-hit the puck towards Jere and I saw him pounce on it. Had it gone through? Jeremiah got up, holding the puck frantically in his right hand. What an absolutely brilliant save. We went on with the game, without letting anything deconcentrate us. I checked the score board. There were only three minutes left. It was now or never. I stole the puck from my attackers stick and skated forwards. I saw Matthew ahead of me, calling for the puck. I passed it to him, receiving it with splendour. He passed it too Liam, who passed it again to me. I was only a few meters from the goal, but got smashed into by a Redwoods player. In my fall, I passed the puck to TJ, hoping he'd be able to get ahold of it. Being on the ice, I wasn't able to see if it had gotten in. But my doubts were quickly allayed when, a few moments later, I heard the cheering of the crowd in the stands. The scoreboard now read 2-1. Whistle blew for time a second after. We had won. We all hustled in the centre of the arena, cheering and congratulating each other. I looked up to the stands, and waved to people that were cheering us on. Then, out of nowhere, I saw Amara, standing there, clapping and cheering happily. When she catches me staring at her, she pumps me huge smile and a big thumbs up, as TJ comes to smack my amicably in the face. "Good game man" he shouts in my hear, practically bursting my eardrum. "Yeah. It was a brilliant match. Come on, let's get off the ice to hear what coach has to say." I respond taking off my helmet from my soaking head. When we arrived to the locker room, coach was already there, smiling and talking in an easy voice. "That was an amazing match boys. You did what you had to do. I'm happy you manage to work in symbiosis and read each-others moves." "We'll see each other at practice next week. Have a good week of rest, you've all earned it." I was about to follow my teammates into the showers, when Coach grabbed me by the shoulders. "Hey" he said in an flying manner. "I know I've been hard on you this season. But I'm only doing because you're captain, and the team is your responsibility. But I have to say, you've doing a great job." checking me in the fist. "Thanks coach. They are a bunch." I smile heading into she showers.

As we go out of locker room, we are greeted by a bunch of people outside. I spot Timothy in the back and walk in his direction, standing next to him was Monica, his girlfriend. I've seen her around. Mostly with Timothy and Matthew. I also know she's one of Amara's roommates, so I'm guessing she's somewhere not far. I greet Timmy with a handshake and say hello to Monica. "Monica I couldn't find your jacket anywhere, I'm sor- oh hi Ethan." she mutters. "Hey there." "I didn't know you went to hockey matches. Are you that much of a fan of me?" I chuckle. "Don't be so cocky" she smirks. "I was actually supporting my best friend and her boyfriend. I didn't come for you." "Is that a lie I hear?" I smirk harder. "Pff you wish." she says, sticking out her tongue. "Anyway, the team and I are having a party tonight, to celebrate the win, you up for it?" I ask, this time addressing myself to Timothy and Monica. "Ohh sounds fun" she squeals, pulling on Timmy's arm. "Count me in" he exclaims. "What about you Preston? Care for a little fun with your favourite hockey player? I sneer. She looks around, placing her hand on her forehead, as if she was desperately searching for someone. "Oh really? Where is he?" She chuckles. She looks back up at me and smiles. "I'll be there." "See you tonight then, all of you." As they walk away from where we were standing.

"Can I get you two a drink?" I ask in a confident voice. The two guys in front of me nod, and I walk into the kitchen to get them something to drink. The house was packed with people, half of them I didn't know. The music was pumping loud, allowing the whole neighbourhood to listen to our music exceptionally loud stereo: All of my mates were somewhere having fun, probably drinking and hooking up with some random chick they were going to forget about tomorrow. As for me, Amara was nowhere to be seen. Hadn't she not come? I walk back up to the two guys, Brent and Winston, handing them two cold beers. "Have a good time" I tell them. They smile and turn away from me. From the distance, I see a blond girl in TJ's arms, probably his evening conquest. I join them, probably crashing  into the conversation they seemed to be having. "TJ, have you seen Jeremiah? I really need to talk to him?" "I'm sorry bro, but I have been quite occupied" pointing at the blonde girl resting on just chest. "He's probably in the game room?" "Thanks man" I say as I leave TJ with his puck bunny. As I was walking towards the game room, I heard the front door opening and three girls entering. I turned around and saw Monica, Amara and another girl standing next to the door. I rush over to greet them. "Greeting ladies. How may I help you?" I say, imitating the voice of a well-mannered butler. They giggle. I meet Amara's eyes, and she smiles at me. I lead them to the kitchen and they follow me. Monica walked off to join Timothy-I imagine-leaving me alone with Amara and her friend. "Oh my god!! He's here!" Her friends squeals. "Ethan Candace, Candace Ethan" Amara chuckles, as I  place out  my hand so that she can shake it. "Pleasure to meet you" she says, winking indiscreetly over to Amara, who immediately rolls her eyes at her. "I'll leave you too to business, I have some myself I have to handle" Candace exclaims, kissing Amara goodbye on her cheek. "What do you want to drink?"I ask her, pretending not to have noticed the totally indiscreet wink. "Lemon margarita" she responds playing nervously with a small strand of hair with her finger.