Chapter 27

AMARA

I wake up gently, feeling a light buzz in my lower belly. I'm starting to believe that butterflies are actually living there. I can feel Ethan's strong arm wrapped around my waist as he snores lightly. He isn't really a morning person. I haven't woken up with him that much, but from what I've heard from him in the morning, him and mornings aren't really a match. I try not to wake him up as I switch to my left side, facing his strong torso.  Since I've woken up, I couldn't stop thinking about last night. I have feelings for you. It had been true. I had said the truth, I had feelings for him. But there was something that was stopping me, something I couldn't describe, something that was eating me from the inside. Something bruising my gut. I had tried so hard to keep it out of the surface, but it was just taunting me, taunting to come back.

6 YEARS AGO :
"She's stable. We've intubated her. She'll be stable for now." "Is she going to make it?" I can hear Simeon's voice feebly. I can't move but I can see. My eyes are the only thing I can move. My whole body feels heavy and my head is throbbing horribly. "Please-please tell me she'll be alright." I hear Simeon cry. His cry rips my heart to pieces. My eyes are now closed, I'm too weak to keep them opened, but I can hear him, distressed next to me. I hear the faint sound of the machine slow down, beeping sluggishly, as I feel myself going against the hospital bed. I can't hear my heart thumping anymore. "We're losing her. Bring meDr. Michaels!" I can't distinguish this voice. The only voice I recognise is Simeon's. "What is happening. Please tell me she's still there!"His tears pierce my heart, breaking it into a thousand pieces, I want to get up and hug him but my body prevents me from doing so. "You're going to have to go sir!" "Please!" He begs. "Let me stay. I can't loose her." "Leave. Now. This is an emergency." I don't hear the rest, and collapse into nothingness

"Hey you." Ethan voice makes me jump. "Oh hi." He looks at me with a stern look in his eyes. "You look panicked. What's up?" His voice is so innocent it makes me sad. He can't know now. It'll break his heart. It broke Simeon's. . "Nope. I'm fine. I've slept amazingly" Partly true as he hadn't stopped snoring for an entire hour. But I still sleep amazingly when I'm with him. "How'bout you babe?" "Babe?" He looks surprised, but then his face stretched out a big bright smile. "I'm your babe?" He chuckles. "I don't know." I actually don't. Do yesterday's allegations make me and Ethan a couple? "What are we?" I ask him suddenly. "Uhm humans?" He giggles. This remarks earns him a pillow in his face. "I know that stupid. What are we?" I ask pointing both of us with my index fingers "Us" I add. "Oh. Right. What do you want us to be?" How come is he always twisting my questions back, putting me in the hard seat. That sly fox. "I mean. I like you, and you obviously like me, so does that make you my boyfriend?" "Do you want me to be your boyfriend?" He adds. "You should normally be asking that question. As a gentleman, but I doubt you know what being a gentle man means." I tease, sticking out my tongue at him. " I am a gentleman." "Prove it to me." "Amara Preston. Will you do me the honour of being my girlfriend, I promise to take the greatest care of you, and your amazing boobs." he smirks. I slap him gently on his cheek. "You big perv." "It's not my fault you have perfect tits." He says, shaking his shoulders. "You're right. I do have amazing tits." "Look who's cocky now." I giggle as he grabs my waist, tickling my side. I fall into his arms and exhale deeply. I feel so safe in them. I feel like I could drop from space and Ethan would always be there to catch me. "I can't believe I have a girlfriend." He says, stroking my face. "I haven't been in a relationship since I was what, fuck sixteen. The word sounds. Weird?" He chuckles. "Yeah it does." A silence ensues but it doesn't bother me. even silence with Ethan relaxes me. "Ethan?" I ask. "Yes?" "Would you catch me if I fell from space?" "Baby, you've already fell from the stars, and I caught you. But if you want, I can send you back up there so you can see them closer." His face sketches a smile out. "I doubt that you can make me see stars." My voice is challenging, and his eyes look at me lust-filled. "Baby, I just have to put one finger inside you to make you see the entire galaxy." He isn't wrong. I'm wet just by looking at him. I climb onto him, straddling him as he places his hand on my hips, securing me on top of his lower abdomen. I kiss him teasingly running my hands over his bare chest. "Ethan. I wanna see the galaxy." I whisper in his ear, as I feel him hard underneath me. "As you wish."

-

We're halfway through practice and my wish to kill someone has never been so high. We've got a semi-final match this Friday so today's practice is really intense. Now. Why do I want to kill someone? Simple. Jessica Dolter. She's been on my nerves recently but now, she's top on my I wanna fuck you up list. Why? Simple again. She's so convinced she's all that and it's driving me insane. Worse, Coach Himbrey worships her for God knows what reason. We all work so hard to measure up to Coach's expectations and she just has to bat her eyes at her and she gets what she wants. Last practice, she even mentioned wanting to become a libero. Come on that's my spot, and lets be real, when she dives, its like a rock bouncing back from impact.

"Preston! Get your butt on the court!" I look at Candace and roll my eyes. The rest of the training went by surprisingly quickly. We enter the changing rooms with Jade and Candice, laughing, chit-chatting about random topics. Candace seems to have her eye on a senior football player, and Jade is trying to tell her to stop obsessing over him. Uh-uh, very unlikely indeed. We shower, and then change back to our regular clothes. I swing the door open, and to my surprise my eyes meet Ethan's. I don't even have time to open my mouth that Candace strolls next to me. "Ethan. What are you doing here?" Her voice is surprised, but her voice betrays her amusement. "Candace is it?" he asks. She nods "uh-uh" Even though she's next to me and I can't see her face, but I can hear her smirk from a mile away. "I guess I'm picking up my girlfriend." He winks at me. My eyes widen. I can hear Jade chocking on her saliva behind me. Candace's mouth opens and then closes. I make my way out of the door and wave my friends goodbye. I can see in their eyes that revelation has not left them unconcerned.

When I get home tonight, things are going to be interesting.