𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

A knock at my door causes me to open my eyes slowly, but I'm way too lazy to get up, so I just flop back down onto the comfort of my bed

A knock at my door causes me to open my eyes slowly, but I'm way too lazy to get up, so I just flop back down onto the comfort of my bed. My mattress is soft, and my body sinks into it easily, yet it's still firm at the same time. Just perfect.

My eyelids start to feel heavy again, and I slowly drift off into a deep sleep with a soft melody playing in my head. It sounds like the angels are singing to me, but I don't dare question it. I just feel safe and protected in the warmth of my luxurious bedroom.

The knock on my door comes again, louder this time. "Princess, you better be awake!" Sofia calls out. "You're supposed to go to Princess Ava's garden party in the afternoon, and you have to look presentable!"

Shit.

I jolt awake at the reminder of the party and quickly check the alarm that's sitting on my nightstand. 9:52 AM. Ava's party doesn't start until 12, so surely I have enough time to get ready.

"I'm up!" I yell out so Sofia can come in and prepare me for the event.

My handmaiden rushes into my bedroom, carrying loads of accessories. "You slept in a bit today, Princess," she says with a smile. "I will help you get ready as quickly as possible."

I stretch and sit up on my bed, needing a few moments to fully wake up. I yawn and then stumble onto the floor, the bright sunlight hurting my eyes.

Before anything else, though, I quickly run to the bathroom and wash my face, then brush my teeth. I may depend on Sofia for most things, but I'm not completely helpless.

Sofia quickly pulls me by the arm once I'm done and starts helping me put on my dress. She then pushes me down on a chair so she can style my hair.

"Princess, what is this?" she asks, pointing to a small bruise on my shoulder. "How did you get that?"

Damn. She has good eyesight. I debate whether or not I should tell her that I snuck out last night, but I decide I probably shouldn't. It's for the best; knowing Sofia, she would definitely tell my parents. There are only certain things I can trust her with.

"Got hurt at fencing lessons yesterday. You know me; always clumsy," I lie smoothly.

"You need to be more careful, Princess," she chides. Then, the handmaid starts finishing my hair, pinning jewels to my head. "You look absolutely gorgeous. The prince will be delighted."

Yuck. I almost gag. "Ew. Enough about him."

Sofia giggles and has a mischievous grin on her face. "Would you rather talk about your hot bodyguard, then?"