𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟐

Most people would be excited if you told them they would travel on a private jet to a five-star hotel in Paris

Most people would be excited if you told them they would travel on a private jet to a five-star hotel in Paris. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.

Not only am I sitting in my seat waiting for this aircraft to take off at two in the morning, but I have to sleep in the same bed as Marco for an entire week. The only plus side of this trip is that he won't be flying with me.

France is one of Italy's greatest allies, and as the new king and queen, it is me and Marco's duty to uphold the strong bond between the two countries, even if it includes taking time out of my busy schedule to visit Paris. Not that I'm complaining, though—I do love to travel, and not even that snobby prince can take that away from me.

My muscles are quite tense in the morning, so I end up fidgeting in my seat while the jet starts to take off. No matter how much I move, though, I can't seem to find a comfortable position.

"Princess," Alex, who is sitting beside me, scolds, "sit still and put your damn seatbelt on the correct way." He talks to me as if I'm some insolent toddler, which only earns him an angry glare in return. "Well? Do I have to do it for you?"

His gaze wanders down to the loosened seatbelt on my lap, and my cheeks immediately flush. It's then that I realize I've loosened the seatbelt. I also notice that Alex is leaning back against the headrest of his seat as he sighs wearily. The lack of sleep is obviously starting to take its toll on us both.

Instead of arguing back and causing him more stress, my hands clutch the fabric and tighten around my body. I sit up straight despite the shakes caused by the turbulence outside.

I don't even notice the racing of my heart or the anxious trembling of my body until I feel a warm hand grab my icy one. "Easy. Just breathe. The flight isn't as long as you think," the bodyguard murmurs softly—a drastic contrast to his annoyed attitude earlier.

His voice calms me; it's low and steady. I want to look at him because his hand feels so right in mine—safe and strong. But I can't risk turning my head in his direction because then I'll never be able to keep my hands off of him, and that's not something I want in public. Instead, I stare straight ahead at the dark cabin interior.

As the minutes go by, I start to shift around uncomfortably in my seat again, my body sorer than ever. These cushions aren't helping at all. "Do they not have pillows or something?" I groan. "I need to rest."

Alex leans closer to me, nudging my shoulder slightly with a soft laugh. "You can rest your head on my shoulder." His head reels back suddenly, and his expression turns daring. "Or your legs—whatever works for you."

What does that...oh.

It takes me a while longer than it should to understand what he means, but when I do get it, my eyes go wide. With a sly smile, I turn my head to face him, but he rolls his eyes in return.

"I'm joking, Princess," he utters quietly with a slight crooked smile, shifting his body closer to mine. Even in the dimly lit cabin, my eyes still make out the dimple on his right cheek, and the sight warms my heart.