𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓

With my thumb, I wipe the fresh blood off my cheekbone after being struck by the sharp tip of Elena's sabre

With my thumb, I wipe the fresh blood off my cheekbone after being struck by the sharp tip of Elena's sabre. Right now, I'm helping her practice fencing, which her parents forced me to do. I'm not enjoying this at all.

Fencing is one of the many skills I honed at the Royal Academy, and I was at the top of my class. I've never met anyone who could beat me until the princess, and it's getting on my nerves. Not only is Princess Elena a skilled fencer, but she also likes to practice the old-fashioned way. The winner draws first blood.

"I win again," the princess states with a cheeky smile. She drops her blade and fixes her hair.

Fighting back the urge to shout, I just glared at her. "If we were doing this the right way, I would have won."

I take a moment to fix my disheveled hair while I contemplate what just happened. I'm not used to being bested at all, and it's making me feel strange.

The princess, on the other hand, looks quite pleased with herself. I can see in her eyes that she's bragging. "Sure. You totally would have," she says sweetly with a hint of sarcasm.

A muscle in my jaw twitches, and I inhale a sharp breath. I'm definitely not a sore loser, but I would have won if it weren't for the way we played without helmets or the points.

I feel a bit hungry after that intense match, so I look over to where my jacket is on the floor and pull out a granola bar from one of the pockets. I'm about to open it and take a bite when I notice the way the princess stares at the food in my hands. She looks like she's starving.

I walk up to her and hand her the snack. "Here. You need it more than I do."

She pushes my hand away and has a mischievous glint in her eyes now. Either she's about to stir up some trouble or she has a plan. "No, keep it. I have a better idea." She tugs on my arm and leads me out of the courtyard.

Unlike the other times she's tried to pull me along with her, I don't resist like I usually do. I let her guide us into the palace and through the hallways without a single remark or complaint.

I guess I've learned that no matter how many times I try to establish the fact that she's under my protection, she doesn't seem to care and will do whatever she wants anyway. All I can do is make sure she doesn't get hurt.

I can't help but notice how empty the hallways seem. No servants are in sight, and there's an unusual silence in the air. It's as if the whole world holds its breath while we pass.

Something has to be going on.

The princess suddenly pulls me into a side passage that leads to the back of the palace, passing by the kitchen. The smell of delicious food fills the air, and my mouth waters in anticipation.

We both take a sharp right turn and slip through a door into the kitchen. The walls are lined with stainless steel countertops, and the counters are covered with cutting boards and cooking utensils.