6

"Sahana, here light the lamp", her mother in law Suma said, as soon as they reached the little temple in the house.

Sahana nodded and struck a match stick and lit a lamp before praying to God which was followed by another brief round of introduction session of who's who among the guests.

"Sahana, this is Aditya's grandfather's brother's daughter-in-law, Mala.", Suma introduced Sahana to the lady in mid her 50.

"Hello Aunty", Sahana folded her hand in greeting.

"Such a beautiful girl. How could Aditya leave such gorgeous bride and go back to Sydney. That too on the very next day of marriage.", Mala said taking pity of Sahana's condition. She was not the first person to say so. Everyone she was introduced today said the same dialogue.

Sahana hung her head low not knowing what to answer.

"Yeah, I would have twisted his ears and asked him to take his wife with him if he had met me before going.", Said Suma

"Oh!! Didn't he meet you before going?", Asked Mala.

"No.. he asked Vishnu to get his laptop bag in which he had his passport. If I had a slightest of clue, I wouldn't have allowed him to go. He called me from the airport before boarding the plane to inform me that he was going back, due to some urgent work. Note the word inform, because he didn't allow me to speak even a word after that and disconnected the call.", Suma complained in an annoyed tone.

"Mom, you are needed in the kitchen.", Aditi called Suma. Suma excused herself leaving Sahana with Mala. Sahana was feeling awkward not knowing what to speak to the lady. Her eyes were still staring at the floor.

"Aww.. poor child. I hope the reason is work only. You never know, he had been abroad since 7 years now, away from his parents. It's easier to have affairs and relationships when you don't have anyone to watch or answer. That's why I never sent my son way from us.", Mala ranted.

Sahana's eyes went wide listening to Mala's word. She was reminded of Aditya's words on their first night - 'Sahana.. This was the worst kiss I've ever shared with anyone.'

Sahana stared at Mala's face in shock.

"Aaa.. ummm.. I am not saying that Aditya will do such things but boys can easily get lured by beauty and fair skin.", Mala tried reasoning her previous statement.

Sahana eyes never left her face as she continued to stare at Mala, which made Mala to feel guilty of speaking those baseless words. Mala simply excused herself and went away. However, the harm was done and Mala had successfully planted the seed of doubt in Sahana's mind.

Afterall, how much did she knew the man she married? All she knew was that he wanted to jump into a physical relationship even before spending time to know her and allowing her to know about him. 'Sahana.. you are beautiful', she remembered his words which he uttered before stealing her first kiss without her consent. Indeed, he was attracted to her beauty.

It couldn't be possible that she was the only beautiful lady he has ever laid his eyes on. He would have surely seen girls much more beautiful than her in this world.

Though Sahana was physically present for the remaining function, her mind was wandering in her thoughts. She replied with fake smiles to everyone who spoke to her and got through the whole function in silence.

"...and this is your room.", Aditi said pushing the door and pointing her hand at entrance. Sahana passed a faint smile and nodded her head. When she entered, her eyes scanned the room.

It was a comfortably spacious and well furnished room on the second floor. The sliding door on the left gave way to a grilled balcony and had three rose pots.  The centre wall was adorned with a huge picture frame of Aditya smiling. She stared at it for a while before looking at the king size bed which had a big heart made on it with flower petals.

"I.. I am sorry Sissy. This must have been done by silly cousins. They weren't aware of my brother having gone back. I will clean it up.", Aditi apologetically suggests.

"No, don't take the trouble. I will take care of it myself. Besides, why are you sorry for someone else's mistakes?", Sahana mumbled staring at Aditya's photo. Though it looked like she said it to his cousin but in actual she complained about Aditya.

"Sissy, please rest. Do let me know if you need anything.", Aditi said.

Sahana nodded her head and went on to close the door behind Aditi.

"Aditi..", Sahana called her.

"Yes, Sissy.", Aditi turned around halting in her trail.

"Where is my bag? I need to change.", Sahana asked.

"It's in the corner near the wardrobe.", Aditi replied.

"Hmm.. thanks. Thanks for everything.", Sahana spoke to which Aditi replied with a smile.

Once Sahana was alone in the room, she went and pulled her trolley suitcase and took out her night suit from it. Standing beside the bed, she unpinned the veil of her saaree and undrapped herself out of it. She was now standing in the blouse and a petticoat skirt. As she placed the long piece of silk cloth on the bed and unbuttoned the top two buttons of her blouse, she looked at the big smiling picture of Aditya on the wall.

"Pervert!!", She rolled her eyes and mumbled a curse, before picking up the night suit and walking into the attached bathroom to resume changing.

________

To be continued